7.3 idi turbo wont stay running at idle

jsm1573

Reaction score
I have a 1994 f-250 with the 7.3 idi factory turbo engine. 2 days ago I started my truck up and it started sputtering like it wasnt getting enough fuel which it will sometimes do after it sits for a day but usually it will smooth out and run normal, but this time it wouldnt stop sputtering until eventually it shut off and i couldnt get it to stay running normal again. Tonight I towed it to my shop and removed the fuel filter housing and thoroughly cleaned it out including the check valve and schrader valve and put it back together and i didnt make it more than 3 min down the road until it started doing it again and i wasnt able to keep it running unless i kept the accelerator down. It had a new injection pump 3 years ago and new injectors and return lines, caps, and o-rings less than a year ago. Need to find out some more info about whats goin on.

jsm1573

Reaction score
When i got it to the shop i disconnected the line running from the lift pump to the fuel filter housing and had my buddy turn the engine over and it would pulse out a strong stream of fuel

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum,
FYI a eyeball fuel gauge is inadequate.
IMO, everyone should have a fuel pressure gauge on the filter head.

how much fuel is in the tanks?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you replace fuel filter? Sounds like engine is not getting a consistent flow of fuel. If lift pump & fuel filter check out ok, I would point to injection pump malfunctioning.

jsm1573

Reaction score
i know i definetly need a fuel pressure gauge just didnt have one because i didnt need it until now but there is a full tank in my front and rear tank is empty. Hydro-idi i replaced fuel filter 6000 miles ago but i just have hard time leaning towards injection pump since its an OEM and so new

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can always try buying a new fuel filter & fill it with sea foam. Turn engine on and let run for a minute or so. Shut engine off overnight & see how she runs in the AM. Did this trick with my truck when advance plunger was stuck in IP and it worked great.

jsm1573

Reaction score
Have you had any problems since? When my injection pump was replaced it was turned up just a little but so my truck idles at 1000 rpms and I'm wondering if maybe that caused premature wear

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to worry about premature wear if it was idling at 1k rpm.
I since replaced my old IP with Mel's baby moose and am pleased with the increase in power. It's a different truck with his IP and 088 turbo! Worth every penny.

jsm1573

Reaction score
Had a thought. A little while back my fuel tank selector valve got stuck in between both tanks and was pulling fuel from both. I also have a hole in my rear tank from the strap rubbing so I thought maybe it could be sucking air from there

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i cant stand those GD FSV's
i delete them and install a larger rear tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online