7.3 idi Turbo oil line and such fun.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to go look but the location might not be the best due to the proximity of the exh manifold.
I might just wind up with a brass "T" off the back of the top engine with lines, etc wrapped in fire sleeve.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
No. The exhaust manifold is at the head level which is on top of the side of block. These are at the bottom of the of the side of the block, right above the oil pan. There is a lot of room there. There are all lower than the top of the oil filter.

645E3B

Reaction score
I have an ATS turbo on my IDI and the oil feed line is an AN4 from the port on the side if the engine, drivers side of the engine at the bell housing behind the oil filter

Steven Sochalski

Reaction score
Wow. I hadn't thought about that and also am a bit leery of a brass manifold and engine vibration.
The back of the head is a nice idea but not so nice if something goes wrong with that connection in the future. I might split the feed off the back of the block and run a second flexible oil line to a remote manifold not mounted on the engine.
Food for thought and if I wasn't sidelined with a 700 mile road trip yesterday to get a propane tank and the installation of that in the next few days, it might get done real soon.
I like the distractions while the vehicle that could make all the side trips easier is F.O.R.D.

This is the driver side of a bare block. The red circles are the oil galley plugs. The flat flange between the second and third is the rear oil cooler head mount. The two downward cylinders on either side of the first (from left) red circle are the lower engine mount bolt bosses. You can see the top mount threaded hole above the first circled one. You will not be able to use this port because of the mount. The second (middle) one is really tight to the oil cooler. That is where I threaded my remote pressure sensor into. The 3rd (right) port is right next to where the exhaust comes down. This is the common location for some oil feeds.

If I'm not mistaken, you would have to have a 41" line to reach the oil feed on the turbo from the block mains ports. The rear block feed is a 24 inch line. I chose the shorter route. I don't know if it makes a difference with the mains feed oil line running so close to the exhaust, but pushing 1000 degrees egt towing, I'd personally not chance the heat resistant characteristics of a made in China oil feed line, even with a fiberglass sleeve. The rear block feed is also close to the turbo also. Mine is fiberglass sleeved. In the event of a failure the OEM sensor on the turbo would read zero. The remote one coming from the man's oil port with still read. In the event of something catastrophic happening, like a failed oil line, I'd rather replace a turbo than the crank/bearings and everything past that point. I don't know if this is correct, but I also do know that it isn't. The two sensors (OEM and aftermarket) give me peace of mind. Ford is known for doing some wonky things, like the crushed downpipe, but I doubt they would choose a bad location for the NA sensor and the turbo oil feed when it comes to pressure.

Attachments

• PXL_20211118_133118671~2.jpg
    PXL_20211118_133118671~2.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 23

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford? Doing wonky things? Say it ain't so Joe!
I appreciate the pic.
That engine is about due to get stuffed back into the engine bay and will rest on the mounts for some time more. The wife goes in for knee replacement and that just adds to the completion date.
I am looking at an oil line off the back of the block to feed the turbo wrapped in Fire sleeve.
Beyond that is the addition of a secondary oil line with a ball valve that will feed all other secondary sensors/switches, etc.
Time to go look again at this mess and might wait until installation to see exactly how close to in trouble I can get with that secondary oil line.
Naturally the engine is now off the stand and hanging on the hoist. Just to add to my fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online