7.3 IDI turbo no start

johnkracing

Reaction score
Been awhile since I've been on here, anyway just now after work my truck wouldn't start. It's a '94 f350 7.3 IDI turbo auto 2wd drw 140000ish miles, it turns over just fine but no sign of even trying to fire, some smoke coming out of exhaust while cranking, fuel squirts out of schrader valve on filter so lift pump working. The only thing that I noticed out of the ordinary was the WTS light didn't come on a few times after work at 3:30 AM otherwise everything was good ran fine , no power loss. The real bad part is I'm working 6-10's out of town right now and have limited tools and no time so most likely will need to resort to a shop unless it's something real simple.

I can probably get my 4runner or mustang brought up to me so I might be able to stick it at a coworkers place or the rv park where I'm at(if they are cool with that) and tinker, just need help with possible causes.

Thanks in advance for any help, hoping it's not more than inj. pump or easy to change stuff.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like your glow plug system quit working. Could be the main engine harness connector or a failed controller or burned out glow plugs. You can SAFELY use starter fluid if you disconnect the power to the glow plug controller. Find the 2 yellow wires at the fender mounted solenoid and remove them. Those 2 wires are connected in the same lug. This is a common way a designer will use 2 small wires to carry the amps and power needed to operate something. Seems 2 small wires are cheaper than one large wire. Many times the probelm is the main connector has melted from trying to pass enough amps thru the corroded connector. This male female connector is so small it can't handle the power requirements on the controller with any corrosion on the pieces. Mine smoked so bad one morning I thought the starter had burned up. Popped open my hood and felt the connector and it was soft and very hot. I learned fast... I installed a 6 gauge audio speaker wire directly from the controller to the fender solenoid. If I need to pull the engine I can lift the new wire from the solenoid just as easy as unplugging the engine harness. Hope this helps keep you on the road.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well that's the good thing about these trucks,is that pretty much everything is simple.Gary has ya covered good,but here's a quick run through test you can do in 5-10 minutes too.
key thing to remember is,if you need a set of plugs; if it's not a Beru it just wont do.

click here:
diagnostics for the '87-94 glow plug system

johnkracing

Reaction score
Awesome help

Sounds like your glow plug system quit working. Could be the main engine harness connector or a failed controller or burned out glow plugs. You can SAFELY use starter fluid if you disconnect the power to the glow plug controller. Find the 2 yellow wires at the fender mounted solenoid and remove them. Those 2 wires are connected in the same lug. This is a common way a designer will use 2 small wires to carry the amps and power needed to operate something. Seems 2 small wires are cheaper than one large wire. Many times the probelm is the main connector has melted from trying to pass enough amps thru the corroded connector. This male female connector is so small it can't handle the power requirements on the controller with any corrosion on the pieces. Mine smoked so bad one morning I thought the starter had burned up. Popped open my hood and felt the connector and it was soft and very hot. I learned fast... I installed a 6 gauge audio speaker wire directly from the controller to the fender solenoid. If I need to pull the engine I can lift the new wire from the solenoid just as easy as unplugging the engine harness. Hope this helps keep you on the road.

Many thanks icanfixall, used a jumper and bypassed the controller and she fired up like normal. Had to move my rig over one stall at the rv park when I got back, now I gotta wait till tomorrow to see if NAPA can get me one. At least I know what to do now to get it fired up. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D