7.3 idi to 6.9 idi

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The 6.9 and 7.3 have different balancers.
Here I thought that only the Factory Turbo balancer was different. Apparently I was wrong? Aren't the crankshafts the same between the 6.9 and N/A 7.3? I know that the flywheels and flexplates are inmterchangeable. If both of those are true, then I don't see why the balancers could be different.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Now be careful with the van application engines to the truck engines. They have different drivers side exhaust manifolds and the oil cooler headers are different.

I know the van oil cooler header/s are different. Both headers or just one header diff from our trucks? And can van Dr side exhaust manifolds be swapped out to truck manifolds?
& my other van question: Will a van (E models) 6.9/7.3 IDI drop in our trucks with the van oil coolers?

Reason I ask, I have a '89 E350 U-Haul & a '94 E350 IDI NA U-Haul, both for the engines to maybe fix up a '88, '89, & '92 all F250 (have some other 6.9 & 7.3 engines I been collecting to fix up & stick in something soon I get my shop built, hopefully spring or summer)

The 6.9 and 7.3 have different balancers. I have pics here somewhere. Just have to find them. :)

So apparently IDI 6.9, 7.3 NA, & 7.3 IDIT all have different balancers? Will they interchange? Something I need to find out about for sure & remember.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
The 6.9 & 7.3 have different crankshafts. The 6.9 is lighter.
Keep the harmonic balancer with the crank. They will interchange, but don't do it.

6.9 Crankshaft:
You must be registered for see images attach

7.3 Crankshaft:

6.9 Casting #:

7.3 Casting #:

Here's a couple more pics that show why the 6.9 crank is lighter:

Can only upload 5 files at a time. Doh!

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Found the harmonic balancer pics.

6.9:

7.3:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I know the van oil cooler header/s are different. Both headers or just one header diff from our trucks? And can van Dr side exhaust manifolds be swapped out to truck manifolds?
& my other van question: Will a van (E models) 6.9/7.3 IDI drop in our trucks with the van oil coolers?
Both headers are different. They are like International headers and sit closer to the engine. I believe that your can use the van headers in a truck with no issues. You can't use the truck headers in a van. The oil cooler will hit the (I believe) motor mount. Yes the exhaust manifolds can swapbbjordan, thanks. I learned something else today.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Here's some more questions for bbjordan. This is STRICTLY talking about non Factory Turbo engines. From what I understand, the flywheels/flexplates are completely interchangeable, right? Now if the balancer should stay with the crankshaft, then why shouldn't the flywheel/flexplate stay as well. If the balancer is balanced to the crank, then wouldn't the flywheel/flexplate be as well? Are the 6.9 and 7.3 flexplates for a C6 differently balanced? How about the dual mass flywheels? Are the ones for a 7.3 transmission and a 6.9 transmission different too? Yes I've seen two ZF5s in 6.9 trucks from the factory. You can tell because for some reason, the shifter isn't straight like the ones with a 7.3 are. They are curved similarly to, but not exactly the same as the shifters on the four speeds. How about someone who puts a ZF5 in their Bull Nose? Would you have a flywheel that shouldn't be used? If so, what flywheel should you use? What about a SMF conversion? Would that only be good to use behind a 7.3? Here's something else. Was there an option to have a four speed manual behind a 7.3? I know that gas engine trucks still had that potion until 91 or 92. If it was an option, would this have a different flywheel than the same transmission behind a 6.9? Now that you've pointed the differences to me, I'm really curious to find out more info.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The van oil cooler headers will not fit the trucks.The front header has only three bolts holding it to the block because of how it connects to the engine. The rear header points the oil filter in a different direction. The van drivers side exhaust manifold will not fit the trucks either but the passenger side fits both truck and vans.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The van oil cooler headers will not fit the trucks.The front header has only three bolts holding it to the block because of how it connects to the engine. The rear header points the oil filter in a different direction. The van drivers side exhaust manifold will not fit the trucks either but the passenger side fits both truck and vans.
Good to know. I haven't worked on very many vans and have never tried this. I'm sure that you're right about the oil filter now that I think about it. That's why vans and Internationals both had the different driver's side manifold.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score

Thanks icanfixall. I knew the van front header only had 3 bolts, but assumed that the rear header could be swapped out to a truck rear header???
I also assumed that the dr side van exhaust manifold can be swapped out to truck manifold???
Now I'm also wondering about motor mounts etc.

I had hoped these 2 E350 ex-U-Haul truck engines I have, could be dropped in one of my trucks with a few mods.
(one E350 is an '89 that hasn't been fired in about 2 yrs., runs nice tho. Other is really a nice currently running '94 still together E350 truck. Tranny shifts kind'a harder than I like tho.)

I guess I should have done more research before I snagged these E350's. Got the '89 for the engine, tires & wheels mostly. Got the '94 mostly cause it is a nice running, still completely together truck, as well as a good back-up engine.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
What icanfixall was saying was that the oil cooler headers won't work in a truck application, and that the van driver's side exhaust manifold won't work in a truck application. He didn't say that you can't put the truck parts on a van engine. Yes the motor mounts will need to bee truck mounts too. These parts will fit any block application whether van, truck, or International. It's just that some parts won't work in the wrong application. If you look closely, you'll see that the fourth bolt hole is still there for the front oil cooler header. The reason that you can't mix and match the headers is that the ones for a van put the bundle closer to the engine block. Neither one would seal if you tried to mix and match them. If you already have the engine out, that's the best time to reseal the oil cooler anyway.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
What icanfixall was saying was that the oil cooler headers won't work in a truck application, and that the van driver's side exhaust manifold won't work in a truck application. He didn't say that you can't put the truck parts on a van engine. Yes the motor mounts will need to bee truck mounts too. These parts will fit any block application whether van, truck, or International. It's just that some parts won't work in the wrong application. If you look closely, you'll see that the fourth bolt hole is still there for the front oil cooler header. The reason that you can't mix and match the headers is that the ones for a van put the bundle closer to the engine block. Neither one would seal if you tried to mix and match them. If you already have the engine out, that's the best time to reseal the oil cooler anyway.

Thanks IDIBRONCO for clearing that up. & to think of it I think I saw somewhere about the van coolers being closer.
Sounds like I got that '89 for good spare engine, & maybe the '94 if I decide to part it out.
Actually I have several other 6.9 & 7.3 truck engines, some that need going thru.....Spring or summer soon as I finish my shop. I still like these IDI's & always am on the look for them!!
Thanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac