7.3 IDi Tachometer sensor

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sensor .. Read normal as i start moving with no problems , The only issue i have is when i come to stop it fall on its face down to ZERO and when i 1st start the truck some time , SOme time after i hit the peddle to get the fast idle going it picks up but lately its been a sleep .

I might take it off and spray some crc qd contact cleaner and look closely to the connection .

Would this senor cause the O/D to flash every now and then

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YES a bad tach can cause a tranny code. The E4OD TCM needs a clean tach signal to determine shift points, line pressures, and calculate slip.

Shmutz and corrosion can decrease the tach sensor voltage output below the detection threshold of the tachometer conversion board (which has it's own acronym that I forgot). Frequency and voltage go up with RPM, so at some point there may be enough voltage to finally be detected.

Try ohming out your sensor. If memory serves, a healthy one should be 2500 ohms.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is one reason i hate autos!
if the tach sensor can effect the trans, wouldnt it behoove you just to purchase a bran new one?
a 70 dollar sensor isnt too bad, if it makes your trans work correctly.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YAH .. I agree with you . I hate Auto tranny as well. Thankfully i gone thru my Tranny top to bottom few month ago .

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the sensor out and cleaned it real well ,
Plugged it back in and so far so good .

It was covered up with thick layer of oil and real dirty . Time will tell if cleaning it solved the problem

Last edited:

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which end of the wire you referring 2 and seal it with ?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The end right by where the wires go into the sensor. The wires tend to chafe there. Buy some liquid electrical tape (Google it) and that should fix you up.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on .. I hava can of that liquid tape .I will put some right there and hope for the best . I did not start the Truck in the last couple of days . It's for my occasional hauling only .

On a side note :

Can any one tell me How would this truck do loaded and hauling 30 ft camper from NC to WV about 7 hours trip each way .. I have the slandered factory cooler , No Temp gauge. DO i need to watch for something

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With No gauges, ya can't watch for anything. You should have EGT, coolant temp and possibly trans oil temp. An Aux trans. cooler would be good, almost mandatory when hauling a 30 ft camper.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have EGT , Stock coolant Temp , Trany Temp gauges on it's way but no Aux Tranny cooler

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on Aux cooler and best way to connect it

Also No luck with the darn sensor thing , it's acting up again , falls flat on its face to zero when I get to the stop sign .. Found new one on eBay old stock at U-haul for great price .. New sensor on its way

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to your results. I'd like some more encouragement to spend $80 of my money to see my tach work again.

After i cleaned it pretty good the result still inconstant , falls flat on its face @ stop sign and my OD light flickers which totally sucks specially after i gone thru the Tranny so OD flash light not acceptable . As i was browsing E-bay Sunday morning i cam across that U_Haul deal on the brand new sensor for $42 . Just keep your eye out .

I will post the result once it arrives

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did any one install the Trans cooler out of 6.0 PSD in their IDI in place of the stock one , I figured since it's 3 times the size of the stock one it might do the trick of providing enough cooling power when pulling a 30ft + camper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789