7.3 Idi runs and quits

johnathan88

Reaction score
Hey I'm new to the forum I recently acquired a 1993 Ford F-350 7.3 Idi I went and put new glow plugs in it motorcraft zd'9 and a new glow plug controller still couldn't get it to start put a new starter on and she fired up runs for a minute or so yesterday I replaced the injector caps and return lines and it still dies any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I hope to get this old truck back on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnathan88

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
I made this for it in my spare time

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is there 12V+ to the FSS on the IP?
it can only be lack of fuel once its started.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not clear whether it started and ran for a minute just once or whether it has done this several times. If it only did it once I would guess you still have air in the lines and you should recharge your batteries and keep trying. If it consistantly starts, runs for a minute and then dies I would suspect fuel delivery issues, kinked hose, clogged filter or bad lift pump.
It takes a while to get all the air out of these systems after changing return lines. An electric lift pumps helps alot with that.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any fuel in the valley coming from the caps? Also, did you replace the fuel filter? Make sure that's not a point of failure, same thing with the bleeding port.

johnathan88

Reaction score
I plan on changing the fuel filter soon the reason I changed the caps and return lines is because it had fuel puddled around one of the glow plugs ..., I'll go back out there and look at it more closely I can tell you this much Everytime you push that Schader valve on the filter head air comes out.... The injection pump was supposedly replaced by previous owner

Last edited:

johnathan88

Reaction score
I'll charge the batteries and post a video if I can that might help some