7.3 IDI Question

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone else has had this same problem and what they did about it.My truck when it gets to below 1/4-1/8th of tank of fuel suddenly picks up like your pressing on the gas pedal and wondered if anybody knew why?It only does it when fuel is low and this is the 3rd 7.3 IDI Turbo truck I've owned that does this and all of them did it?

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
It only lasts for like 5-15 seconds then goes back to the norm.It's like someone hit you in the ass and truck picks up speed then goes back to normal.It'ld be great if it ran like that all the time as the power surge is amazing!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You have the usual fuel tank suction head broken off issue. Most here will have this problem. some even run out of fuel around 1/4 tank. Thats because the pickup is that high off the bottom of the fuel tanks when it breaks off. You know your out of fuel. switch tanks and keep going to refuel only to find out about 12 galloens is all it takes to fill an empty tank. that there tells you the pickup is broken off in the suction. The rear tank is the hardest tank to drop. They always have about 5 gallons left in them and that will not balance easily either. You really need to cut loose the supply and return lines at the frame cross menmber to reach the tanks sending unit to release the fuel lines. This is only for the rear tank. The front tank is simple. Just remove the lines from the sending unit. Knock loose the retaining ring and lift out the sending unit. No reason to drop the front tank. Be careful reinstalling any sending unit. They have a square rubber gasket and a locating pin to the pickup is positioned properly in the tanks and the lines are connected easily. Also the supply line is 3/8 where the return line is 5/16...

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
OK does that mean you buy a new sending unit or is this something you can fix?I put a new front sending unit in my last truck and it still did it?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Does the truck actually have extra power, or does the engine just race? Two (or more) different possible answers. It sounds like it is racing due to fuel starvation or air intrusion from the broken pickup.

A new sender? As in new from the dealer, or from another truck?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most (myself included) will pull the senders from the tanks and replace the broken shower head fuel pickup with an equal length piece of 3/8 diesel rated fuel hose. Use a hose clamp to hold it on the sender, and cut an inverted "V" at the bottom of the hose so it won't suck on the bottom of the tank. Both of my senders have this mod and have been that way for years. Never had it cause me a problem.

Heath

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
It actually has more power for that length of time.It really feels like someone is pushing the truck from the back?