7.3 IDI intake heater...this weekends project

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Never been that cold in my area, but my Mercedes always starts right up. Wait for the glow plugs light to go out, turn the key, and it fires immediately. Coldest start for me is just about zero Fahrenheit. Its an IDI---'82 5 cylinder. The Ford never starts that easily--maybe the batteries are getting a little old, and can't crank at the right speed.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I'd love to see a video of an IDI, or any diesel for that matter, fire up in a few revolutions at -36C (-32F), after sitting overnight with no block heater.

yes, and an actual temp measurement of the block. This morning at 5am it was 10deg, by 8am it was -2, checked engine temp, and was 15 deg. Also just an fyi, the laser temp guns are only accurate while the gun is at 70ish deg.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill be able to do this with my 97. I've got digital gauges showing exhaust and water temperature among other things. The pyro doesn't read below freezing, but the water temp sensor does.

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck will start with just the glow plugs and no block heater in -25c but it does take a bit of cranking. With this intake heater the start is almost instant in -40c it hasent gotten any colder yet. I cant wait to try it out in -50c i bet it takes just a few cranks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk