7.3 IDI in a 1971 F350

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Posting this for my father who is not yet on the website,

Today my father took a big step, he bought his first IDI. For $600 he got a 1989 F-Superduty with a 7.3 IDI NA and a zf5. Truck has sat in a field for the past ten years after going though a inheritance nightmare, but within an afternoon we had it running ;Sweet

So our plan is to pull the cab off and part it out, we will drop in the cab from my great-uncle's 1971 f350 which was donated to our truck collection along with the antique bulldozer he hauled behind the truck. We plan on doing a frame up restoration with powdercoating the chassis and building a bed. The engine will be rebuilt along with the trans, we are planning on doing head studs, type 4 cam, coated pistons and comp 910s. We would like to turbo the truck but will have to make a kit from scratch to work with our plan.

There's gonna be a good bit of fabrication involved but we hope to have a great reliable vehicle that we can tow my parent's Avion trailer around the country with.

Thanks for checking it out!

Photos:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today the bed came off, it used to be a nice fabricated bed but someone hacked it up into a welding bed and welded it straight to the frame. Cab is in surprisingly good condition!

Attachments

• image3 (1).jpg
    image3 (1).jpg
    953.2 KB · Views: 30

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No... it's too damn hot right now and plans have changed with the project, we are taking chassis from an 89 f250 with a low miles drivetrain w/ zf5 turbo idi gear vendors and exhaust brake, paid $2000 for it.... that will be going under the 71

Super duty is higher on priority list and will be getting frame up resto and I'm looking for a factory turbo engine that I can test the limits of, going to be doing a lot of fabricating for the air and fuel on that truck, working with an engineering buddy on it, should be sweet.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super duty is higher on priority list and will be getting frame up resto and I'm looking for a factory turbo engine that I can test the limits of, going to be doing a lot of fabricating for the air and fuel on that truck, working with an engineering buddy on it, should be sweet.
If you are going to be pushing the limits of an IDI, don't worry about the factory turbo engine - the NA motor is basically just as good.
Remember, the limits are:
1. Head gaskets/bolts - same on both motors. You'll want studs if you are going above about 250 at the wheels / 15 PSI of boost.
2. Connecting rods - The factory turbo ones are stronger, somewhat... but if you are going that far into it, just get PSD forged rods modified for it.
Yes, if you find a factory turbo block, it'll be a little easier... but considering Justin pushed 450(!) out of a bone-stock 88 IDI before the connecting rods snapped... there's still quite a bit of performance even without stronger connecting rods.
And finding an IP to push 450+... that's a pretty big IP, almost getting into P-pump territory there.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha yeah well I'll update you with this: I have acquired a factory turbo engine that I want to build up to see what these bottom end will take especially sense the psd connecting rods are untested. I have an inline pump and what I need to use it on an idi, issue is working out pop pressures.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online