7.3 IDI hydrolocked

Reaction score
So my '89 7.3 IDI hydrolocked on cold start today after sitting for a few days. My plan is to pull glow plugs and see what's on them. The truck is being towed to where I work now.

Should I try to start it to pull it inside? There's only a couple guys here to help push.
Is a couple hours enough time for whatever to drain down?
Should I not start it at all to preserve what evidence I'll find on the glow plugs?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If you believe it is truly hydrolocked, DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE OVER until you have at least the glow plugs out. There is almost no clearance between the top of the piston and the head. If there is liquid in that gap, it will not compress and you will cause damage to the engine, if you haven't already. Guys have had the engine hydrolock due to water leaking in the cowl seal, dripping on top of the air cleaner in an N/A truck and get into the engine and have bent a rod with just the force of the starter. Please, if you think there is a remote possibility there a liquid in the engine, do not turn it over without the injectors or glow plugs removed, and when you do turn it over, bar it over by hand, don't use the starter........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.