7.3 idi 1993 sclb 300-400hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamrheawe

Reaction score
this truck has a exhaust i am planning on buying it how do i get 300-400 hp out of one turbo kit fuel pump turn up?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how many turns 1/2 to 3/4 turns and what turbo to run and boost cap i hear these can't handle over 14psi due to them being originally n/a i just want modern truck hp
unless you are going to throw big money at the IDI, you won't compete with an electronic diesel. if you think a simple turn of a screw will yield big results, you know something more than the rest of us here. if you wallet is ready, google up R&D IDI performance and prepared to set you credit card on fire.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah well stock fuel maxed out with a turbo kit might get you to 200 whp.

you are better off buying a cummins or PSD.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
this is what i am talking about
how can I put this bluntly......
you can't turn a 185 rated HP motor into a 300-400 HP motor just by "turning up" a fuel screw. with a injection pump and injectors in good condition, a realistic number of 225 HP might be attainable.
just for the record, my fuel screw on the Nostromo(see sig) has been bottomed out( all the way in) and backed off two flats.

williamrheawe

Reaction score
i'm sorry i'm just new to idis i'm a 6.0 man im used to being able to reflash the ecu and pull 160 extra horsepower out of the truck

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah you have to spend some money and put some work in to get any kind of power from an IDI. you can do it and it will still be reliable but isn't that easy.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDIs are great and very sturdy engines... at 150-210hp, run too much heat and abuse them and they’ll die. High compression and mechanical injection don’t just give huge hp numbers with minimal work. I’d definitely say go with the electronically controlled diesels. Now R&D will help you, but it’s not cheap. Plus if you crank the fuel up too much you’ll melt pistons or have a smoking ****.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy a new truck...u wont get yer goal without $pending lotsa $$

Seriosly it can be done...but its really challenging

Go buy a chip truck to satisfy yer dreams

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can get an extra 160 (crank) HP on the turbo models with just a turn of a screw - from 125 wheel HP stock to 225 cranked.
More than that... not so easy or safe.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding 300 hp to an IDI is easy AF. Just keep adding stickers. it's about ten horse per sticker, so you need about 30-ish give or take the quality of the stickers. flashy metalic ones last longer. try to stay way from cheapo off-brand. I only use quality Motorcraft stickers. N.O.S. is best if I can find it on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance