6.9 trouble starting

maverick1

Reaction score
My 87 f-350 has a 6.9 turbo in it an every morning it takes about 3 attemps to get it to turn over. i have two brand new batteries and a new alternator. starte seems good. however the connections on my glowplugs seem to have some deterirorating insulation. and the are also a peg style rather than a tab style. Any Ideas and or information from those with more knowledge would be great.:dunno

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Looks like someone hacked up your glow plug harness and put spades on. Your truck should have bullet-shaped glow plugs in it. That or it's not an 87 6.9l motor. Even on warm days, these engines need the glow plugs to work in order to fire up in a timely manner. I'd start by getting a sound glow plug system. The bullet connectors are somewhat difficult to find, but if your engine has a solid state controller, than ZD9's with the bullet head are the only glow plug that will work with it

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get the glowplug connetors at any auto parts store and some wallmarts for that matter

maverick1

Reaction score
THanks guys I'll get looking at that a little more and search out what motor i have. Got the truck recently for $3500. As far as i know that 6.9 didn't come standard with a turbo so that might make things a little easier.

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.9dint come with a turbo only 1993 to 1994 7.3 came with a turbo so urs is an aftermarket set up

maverick1

Reaction score
hey guys thanks I did another check on the glow plugs and everything was fine. turns out it was the shreader valve on the fuel filter.WHen you start up the truck a vaccuum is created and whenb the spring inside becomes week it can open up that valve. so I pluged it off and tada problem solved.