6.9 idi air intrusion!!!

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked up the instructions for your fuel pump, and found this:

“The fuel pump must be mounted at or below the lowest point of the fuel tank. The pump must also be within one foot of the fuel tank as it’s designed to push fuel from the tank towards the engine. WARNING: Fuel pump failure will occur if not mounted within the required specification.”

I think you might have your pump too far from the tank. Have you tested the flow by unhooking the hose to the IP and seeing how much fuel the pump is pushing up to the engine?

The_gestach

Reaction score
Well I’m definitely going to check my return lines now that are past the engine and also I got 2 brand new lift pumps for it. I never installed either one because I had the truck shut off on me one day and I took the filter off and the lift pump wasn’t pushing any fuel into the filter before I bypassed the filter, and I installed the electric pump to see if I could find the fuel leak since it would be pushing the fuel from the tank to the lift pump instead of pulling from the tank. And had no luck with that but then I was getting fuel to the filter and I know the lift pumps have issues with leaking air so I bypassed it. But I have took off the line to check to see my fuel flow and it’s always been good maybe I’ll have to go back to mechanical or save up and buy a FASS fuel pump.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a good point about how a “push” style fuel pump will pressurize the whole line after it, making it easy to find pinhole leaks.

The_gestach

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Well I should of done this in the first place come to find out it’s the pick up line in the tank! I can watch the fuel level go downin the filter and watch air come in! well now atleast I know where to look!Replaced the mechanical pump too and ditched the electric one! But now back to the electric pump but fixing the pick up line!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Staff online