6.2 locked up?

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I’m voting for a stuck open valve since it rotates freely until it stops in a consistent spot with a a clunk. Look for a valve that is down and doesn’t come up as you rotate the engine. How much of a full rotation does it make before the clunk? 180*? 270?

Trucker73

Reaction score
I'll try it if valves are the case. So I know I'm looking for a rocker arm that is probably kind of loose. Where about do you hit with the hammer? Never done this before. I really appreciate the knowledge. Probably won't be able to get to this until Saturday due to working eager to see what I find once I remove the valve cover's.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Not necessarily saying smacking it is the best option. Just seen/heard of it being done. Lol
You would tap the valve itself.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try it if valves are the case. So I know I'm looking for a rocker arm that is probably kind of loose. Where about do you hit with the hammer? Never done this before. I really appreciate the knowledge. Probably won't be able to get to this until Saturday due to working eager to see what I find once I remove the valve cover's.

You need to use some good penetrant , not wd 40. once engine stops turning over back it up a little to have room for the fluid, need to be able to get a cup or so in. turn over until fluid is starting to come out of GP hole and then let set over night , tap on the valve where the rocker arm makes contact, with a brass drift or piece of hard wood . if it moves some and pops back up keep doing it until it does it freely.
. Hopefully it will loosen up if it is stuck . If not well you may have to pull the head and have fixed,

Trucker73

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the info. I'll try to tackle this project Saturday keeping fingers crossed. By the way my truck is a m1028 cucv ex military my old woods truck. Looking to get back to the woods and off-road trails. Thanks to everyone for helping me out. I'll update when I figure out what's going on.

Trucker73

Reaction score
Hopefully I didn't damage the valve while I was working the crank with the breaker bar. Didn't didn't torque on very hard but it did hit a few times spinning the crank.

Trucker73

Reaction score
One thing I forgot to ask. Do the rocker arm's have to be removed or can they remain in place?just wandered since I may be tapping with the brass hammer to free up the possible stuck valve.

Trucker73

Reaction score
Do the rocker arms just unbolt and bolt back up or is there a bit more involved? I've never done this and just want to do it as smooth as possible.

Trucker73

Reaction score
Thanks 79jasper. Sorry to ask so many questions but I have to ask one more. So all the rocker arms are attached to the rocker shaft, when you bolt it back in place will it bind being that the push rods are in different positions? Or do you just start tightening the bolts evenly again first time working on valves and removing and reattaching rockers. Read something about nylon caps is that a concern? I appreciate you guys helping me get this done.