6.2 locked up?

Trucker73

Reaction score
Hello all I'm a newbie with a question about my 85 Chevy 1 ton 4x4 with a 6.2 diesel. The truck has been sitting for 10 years and I'm looking to get it running. The problem is I tried to turn the engine with a breaker bar and it will turn about half of a full rotation clockwise and the same counter clockwise but then stops solid with a clunk sound. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mechanical damage to the engine. Rod is likely to have broken. You are in for a dismantle of the engine.

Trucker73

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. What did you about the water? Did it ruin the motor?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Scrapped it...
You could try pulling injectors and glowplugs. Fill the cylinders with a rust penetrate. Some have mixed atf and acetone 50/50. Let it sit a bit, work it back and forth, fill again, repeat.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Trucker73

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I can't figure how water would get in there it ran fine till the IP crapped out. I'll have to pull the glow plugs and make sure it is water and hope the damage isn't to bad from corrosion. I was told if you pull plugs and turn motor if it's water it should squirt out.

Trucker73

Reaction score
Yeah I'm thinking it must be water. because like I said I can turn the motor half way of a full revolution and it stops solid clock or counter at the same spot watching the pulley. Just hope the cylinder isn't pitted.

Trucker73

Reaction score
I can turn this motor very easy almost a full rotation. it feels smooth until it reaches one spot either way it hits a brick wall dead stop. Also I pulled gp's out and no signs of water in the cylinders unless there rust in there confused at this point.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really doubt it is a rust issue. Where all the GP tips intact? When turning over how close do you come to make it a complete turn. Is possible a bend valve . pull the valve covers and see it things look okay there . A real loose rocker would mean a bend valve.

Trucker73

Reaction score
All gp's looked perfect. I can turn it almost a complete rotation. Truck ran perfectly till the IP crapped out. Could it be a stuck valve from sitting so long? If so how can I tell and how do you fee it up? Thanks to all for the help.

Trucker73

Reaction score
Got it I'll pull the covers. If it was a stuck valve opposed to a bent one how would I free it up?