6.2 diesel in 72 scout II ?

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok missed a 76 scout on craigslist that had a 6.2 with th400 installed in a scoutII. Anybody out there done this change? I found a company that has a adapter and mounts to attach sbc to 727 auto, and as far as I know the sbc and 6.2 has the same bolt pattern. I emailed the company if they know of anybody that has tried this setup yet.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 6.2 mounting needs are patterned after a SBC, so you can use that as a reference point for mounting on a conversion. I'm more partial to a IH IDI though, but if you are willing to take on such a project that would be a neat thing to document here:thumbsup:

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason why I was thinking of the 6.2 is the size of the engine is smaller than the ih idi, and of course the weight is lower. Looks like I will go and look at the 72 scout tomorrow or sunday. The amount I drive my 94 crew cab it might even stay gas for awhile for the scout. How about this 6.2 with th400 or 700r4 mated to the scout transfer case is that possible? I cant find any info on the web so far, except for 3.9 cummins mated with nv4500 trans. Thats not going to happen way to much for the cummins, $2900 for a used engine.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will definitely be in the minority as far as choices for diesels, but I personally think it's a good choice. don't forget many builders don't freqent the net at all.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I can not help You with knowledge about the 6.2's but regarding the 4bt if You want to find one cheap You should look for a bread box truck or fritolay trucks those have the 4bt many times and You might find someone who doesn't know it is worth that much. I'm looking for a 4bt as well and also found people ask more for this one than for the 6bt might be bc they give such great mileage.

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to look at the scout tomorrow if he still has it, still looking for info on 6.2 change.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
IIRC, the scout axle is a rh drop, like the 73-87 GM trucks. If you are going to all the trouble to change out the engine and tranny, why not just throw in the GM t-case, too?

An early 700 can be controlled with NO electricals. I believe a NP 205 from a pre-80 model will bolt righ to a 700, if you use the pre-80 adapter/mount.

Actually, unless you are going to abuse it, the 80-up NP208 will probably last as long as the Scout.

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking into that last night a donor military k5 with 700r4, and transfer case.

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the scout was not as good as shape the owner said it was on the phone. He went stumpin the night before and put a couple more issues in the metal. Would be a good hunting rig though. Got my eyes on another that wont run.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online