6.0L crank and no start!!! HELP PLEASE

TorqueDiesel60

Reaction score
Hey guys, this morning I went to start my 03 Ford F-250 6.0L and it wouldnt start:mad:

I cycled the glow plugs as usual and heard the engine priming itself as usual, but when I went to crank it, it did not fire up. I cycled the glow plus 3-5 more times and cranked away, but still know start. It makes all the regular noises when you turn the key to the "on" position and turns over fine, but it does fire up at all!!! NO SMOKE AT ALL out of the tailpipe while its cranking either. It was only 46 degrees out this morning so it wasnt that cold.

I plugged the block heater in and came back in 2 hours hoping that might help, but expecting the worst. Still no start. It just cranks.

I called AAA and had them cart it off to my local Ford dealer to look it over. They probably wont get to it until tommorow or the next day.

I have only had it for 4-5 months about, so I dont know whats been done to it or how its been treated previously other than its a stock motor and has had no outstanding issues in its history.

I can hear the high pressure oil system priming itself, but the injectors are not firing as far as I can tell. Think it could have to do with the FICM?? or maybe its just a shorted wire or something simple like that hopefully?

Any thoughts or insight into this issue would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks for talking the time to read this and help if possible, again thanks!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Torque....

I just saw this thread very busy the last few days, what was the trouble, just for futrure reference........

TorqueDiesel60

Reaction score
The batteries where cranking at a very low voltage for starters, cranking at 8 volts the report says. The dealer recharged them, ran their tests, and let the truck sit over night. They also reprogrammed the PCM, TCM, and FICM to the lastest level for updated cold start strategy. They started it the next day and found that it started perfectly. I guess the previous owners didnt get the lasted programming updates from the factory. They said that the oil level was very low and coulndt take a reading from the dip stick. The dealer (not the dealer that I just took it too for work) I bought it from should have put new oil in it before they sold it 5 months ago. The oil level was fine then, so who knows. They did and oil and lube job, replaced oil filter, both fuel filters, drained the water seperator, and flushed the coolant system with motorcraft premium gold coolant, anti-freeze. The general tire and brake checks.

They also replaced the door lock actuators, because they never worked well or consistantely. Now they are smooth as the ones on my mothers BMW 335xi. They also replaced the rear brake pads and rotors, because they were rusted and worn.

So general updates and maintence. It cost me $1353.78 at Varsity Ford in Ann Arbor, MI. Thats the dealer im using from now on, they were very nice to work with and did things in a timely and efficient manner. They also have diesel trucks on there lot at all times, which I like. Pretty much all the other dealers (regardless on brand) in a very large area around where I live NEVER have diesel truck on their lots, which definitely doesnt instill confidence that they know what there doing. The truck I bought was the only used diesel truck period I found at a dealer for a 100 mile circumference around my area!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online