6.0 Problems

MustangDiesel

Reaction score
My wifes uncle recently bought an 04 F-250. 150000 on the clock. Doesn't look like it has been abused but you never know. About 2 weeks ago he started havin problems with it dying sometimes4 or 5 times in town. Found codes on the FICM and was told the EGR could be defective also. It tries to stumble when you first crank it wether its warm or cold. Its his first diesel and I dont have any experience with the Sick-oh Powerstroke any help would be appreciated.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Give Elite Diesel a call, they do have a web page, and the 6.0 diesel is what they specialize in. The PSD is something you can't guess about. Is it smoking, experiencing coolant/power loss, has the cam position sensor been changed lately? There are articles in Diesel Power that address all the defects of the 6.0 PSD and should be a beginning point to diagnosing the problems.

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having owned and worked on mine wnough id say you have the classic symptoms of a dirty EGR valve. Its really easy to do in about an hour and most of that is letting it soak in cleaner. Im on my phone right now but when i get home ill get u a detailed link to doing it. Does this uncle has an extended warranty or anything? Ive had mine since 3k and have expierenced just about every problem with the 6.0 except head gasket and warped heads. i Agree with ameristar1 this uncle needs to really needs to read up on the 6.0 so he know what to do or to alest diagnose problems with his truck. If not he needs to find a quality diesel certified shop to bring it to.