5 speed swap and took it for a drive now!!!

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
i finished my 5speed swap and got everything buttoned up and took it for a drive came back parked it and went to start it again now its just clicking and the the speedo tached out any ideas of what it could be? i finally get my truck goin and myself feeling happy and now this happend :(

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
and that will cause my my speedo to do that? will it go back to normal when i fix that?

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
turn the key to the run position. Get a screwdriver and jump the 2 large posts on the solenoid if she cranks over then i would look at the solenoid.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said. Just make sure the trans is in NEUTRAL

Yes please or you might die.... Even if the jumping the fender mount solenoid doesn't work, it could still be the starter mount solenoid. I replaced one of those 2 weeks ago. It could also be that you have a loose connection on your starter. After all you had to have all that crap out to work on the swap right? Always check the last place human hands touched anything that has problems first.

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
thanks guys i replaced the fender mounted solenoid and she cranks right over now. my speedo is still messed up any ideas on what it can be?

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
The sensor gets its pickup through the sensor in the rear end. Start tracing those wires. I believe they are run through the trans computer on an automatic. Did you remove the computer when you did the swap? You might have to get your hands on a manual trans schematic and wire up the sensor yourself.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did that E40D make it to the current 400k do you know,or did she have to be replaced once or twice during or prior to your ownership? thanks.

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
i think it was replaced awhile before i got it and i had to replace it once when i had it. e4ods in my opinion are junk! but thats just me. love having the 5 speed now