5.9l 6bt 180hp Marine Engine

stangclassic66

1986 Ford F-250 6.9
Reaction score
Ok guys, I saw the thread about some of you having all the answers to the 12v 5.9l. So here goes a question.

In my commercial crab boat I have a Cummins 180hp 5.9l diesel engine. She has roughly 2600hrs and she hasn't skipped a beat. I absolutely love the engine. When I go out to sea, I rarely worry about the Cummins. The engine is keel cooled and has a twin disc transmission. The water temps never go above 170 degrees unless there is too much growth on the keel cooler pipes. And my oil pressure is 60+ cold and 30-40 warm/hot. The vessel cruises 10knots at 2000rpm and 12knots 2300rpm. I can get 13 knots on good days with down current. I believe the engine is rated 2500rpm and Cummins West says it's safe to about 2300rpm continuous. When I crab and run my hydraulic gear, engine runs from 800-1000rpm in gear.

Few questions...

Is there anyway to increase HP without having to change pistons? What would the next HP level upgrade entail?

Is it safe to idle less than 850rpm?

Can the engine run to 2500rpm safely?

I change my oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and water separator filter every 300 hours, is this sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

Erik

MUDDY

Reaction score
Few questions...

Is there anyway to increase HP without having to change pistons? What would the next HP level upgrade entail?

--------------
i understand the marine engines have the superior pistons. the 370 injector wld be ideal for them. just upgrade as we do our pickups,,,,,,a plate change and the 370's.
----------

Is it safe to idle less than 850rpm?
----------------
i wouldnt
----------

Can the engine run to 2500rpm safely?
-----------
yes. ya can get more with a gsk but id not go over 2500 continuously. up to 3200 for short spurts.
------------

I change my oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and water separator filter every 300 hours, is this sufficient?
--------------------
if my math is correct id do 200 hrs. id drain fuel/water seperator every morn after sitting all nite.

if ya bomb it up im sure it be like the trucks where ya need a biggr turbo. it nice havin unlimted cool water supply for cooling