Anyone familiar with Volvo Penta marine diesels?

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have got a md6b volvo in a sail boat. pretty good engine for the most part, just throwing out a feeler to see if anyone is familiar with the engine or similar. Honestly other forums would probably be more appropriate (marine specific or something) but I like oilburners more than any others and am on here way more regularly than anything else.
Some things I'd like to do are time this engine ( along with my idi and probably tdi eventually) and also try to learn more about the reverse gear oil and chit. but like mentioned, just a feeler if anyone is familiar.
Engine is probably from like late '70s, still starts up super easily and runs like a champ. i've got a little (little) smoky white in the exhaust that doesn't seem to clear up much after running for a bit. but like mentioned just a feeler ;)

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm an idiot. got this boat over the winter and the previous owner said he did a fresh oil change before the sale, finally taking a look at the dipstick now and it's the most overfilled i've ever seen in an engine. shame on me for assuming anything, so just going to change fresh again and get it right. luckily haven't run it hard yet but just didn't occur to me it could be over filled even though figured it was burning oil. hopefully that will explain the smoking
15-40 (been using kirkland brand dino lately in the IDI - it's too cheap to pass up!) should be good for both the engine and reverse gear from what i've been able to find in shop manuals as well

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online