4X4 Manual hubs or automatic?

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as I am wasting money. . . .
1994 F350 Crewcab Duallie
Manual hubs on the 4X4 or auto hubs?
Big time off roading is NOT the primary goal on a duallie, just the, "It's wet and I don't feel like getting out" or the seasonal iced road.
Opinions?
Hijacking of thread is encouraged as all information is greatly appreciated!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people hate auto hubs. I have had a set for years on my little ranger and they always work, never had a problem.

What is interesting is my 2009 f350 superduty at work. It has what looks like manual hubs, but they are also automatic hubs. I can get out and turn them in manually, or I can leave them out, and as soon as I turn the button to 4x4 they come in automatically. I would say they would have to work like my older ranger hubs, but just with a manual button also, but I am not sure.

jericho

Reaction score
I have automatics and love the convenience. They are 26 years old and have been opened up and greased once, when my brother the original owner had it. They still work fine. However lots of folks on here like to use the manuals to go into low range 2wd when backing up with a heavy load. The zf5 speed reverse being pretty tall geared can make some maneuvers dicey, esp. with a heavy trailer.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 99 dually have auto hubs , to me they are so nice around town pulling my trailer, little slick just turn the button. If they ever go bad they are getting replaced with the same.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm strictly a manual hub person. I don't lock in the hubs very often, but I like to know that they're locked in and I will have 4x4 when I pull the transfer case shifter back. I don't like to have to worry about electronics, vacuum, or whatever other kind of crazy things that trucks use just so you can have a little "luxury".

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Automatics are fine if you like the convenience and you know ahead of time how to use them right. You need to be moving forward for the hubs to engage, so if you're already stuck and you put it in 4WD, your front hubs won't engage and you go nowhere. And then when you reverse the hubs unlock, so that can be a problem.

Manual hubs don't have those problems, and they also allow you to use low range in 2wd which is very handy to have. But if you're not expecting to use 4WD and you suddenly need it, you've gotta get out. Then you gotta get out to unlock them or else your MPG will suffer and your u-joints won't like you very much.

You won't find much aftermarket support for the factory automatic hubs, but they're plentiful in junkyards and since manuals hub swaps are extremely common, you can often get someones old set of auto's for a 6-pack. Manual hubs ain't cheap but you can find them at almost any parts store.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first time you ever have auto hubs (like our trucks take that are rotation engaging) fail and only have one side lock on, or partially engage and you hear awful grinding noises from the axles, or they won't disengage unless you put it in 2wd and go in reverse real fast and slam on the brakes for a 15 minute dance in the driveway...

You get where I stand on this lol

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always had manual hubs since 1970. My first four Ford trucks were manual tranny. I have ALWAYS had manual hubs. I lock them in at the first rain in Fall and leave them locked all through Winter, unless I have to go some where. Then I unlock them. I don't trust Auto Hubs!

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first time you ever have auto hubs (like our trucks take that are rotation engaging) fail and only have one side lock on, or partially engage and you hear awful grinding noises from the axles, or they won't disengage unless you put it in 2wd and go in reverse real fast and slam on the brakes for a 15 minute dance in the driveway...

You get where I stand on this lol

This^^^ 1000% my experience with auto locking hubs lol

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I had auto locking hubs and they worked great until I put a load on them. When I was trying to get through about 1 ft of snow I would hear a big bang and the front end would unload. They would lock back in then unload every few feet. Not fun. Like others have echoed, I dont trust them and dont want to be let down when i need them and have the family in the truck.

Got a set of manuals and have not looked back.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in the truck with the Manuels. Er, I mean the manuals! Had autos let me down, and haven't trusted them since.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I have never had or considered a truck with auto hubs or an electric shift transfer case.

One time I let a friend with an OBS F350 SRW go hunting on my remote cattle lease. Gotta climb a pretty steep dirt road to get out. Next time I go check cows I find tracks and spin marks everywhere. Tore to hell. I usually idle up this hill in 2wd unless there has been a light rain. Called my buddy and he told me he like to never got out because one of his auto hubs failed. While we were talking he begged me into putting manual hubs on it

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for your specific truck, auto hubs are fine if you use the newer 3bolt version that came on the 96/97 F250 HD/F350. not much problems with them. BUT..... if you have a front posi use a manual hub instead.

superduty hubs are a completely different beast, they do not apply to your truck at all.

BrianC

Reaction score
Bought my '91 new in July '91. It still has the original manual locking hubs, never been looked at. Have had no problems with them ever. Love the 2WD LO feature. Had autos once and only once, never again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online