4K GSK SPRING HELP!

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
Some friends from Cedar City Diesel installed the baby spring into the exsisting 3K GSK I already had yesterday. However we could not get the thing dialed in for nothing!

When they first started it it would rev to 4K fine, but hang @ 2K RPMs when throttle was let off of. We worked with it and worked with it trying taking clicks out and putting clicks in. They finally got it where it would idle around 1,000RPMS but if you go drive it or move it as soon as you try to return it to idle it just idles down and dies.

I myself am working on it now and I tried putting in an additional click after someone told me the idle spring may not be tight enough. When I started it it was at like 1300-1400 RPM idle. I got out adjusted the idle down some and started it back up and it was at 500RPM. Giving it a light amount of throttle it shot back up to 1500RPM's and sticks there again!!

HELP!

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
I believe the biggest spring is your idle spring, which is the one that doesn't get swapped out. Adjust that back where it were before you swapped in the 4k springs.
You might also pop off the AFC housing and be sure your gov. lever is hitting where you want it on the plate. I have also read that way advanced timing (19 deg +) could have strange effects when putting in the 4k springs. Sorry I'm not much more help GS, or I guess it's "Had Smoke" till ya get this sorted out. :Sly

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
Tired of fighting it, I took the 4K GSK baby spring back out. Truck idles and runs great now (had to adjust idle), but now it will only reach 3200 RPM with my foot on the floor. Before it would do 4000RPM 1/2 way to the floor, but it had the OEM baby spring in there before we swapped. I guess I need to get those back, throw them back in and tighten them down for sled pulling. :confused:

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
I talked with Piers today for a little bit. We came to the conclusion that whoever the previous owner had work on the truck just tightened the OEM Gov. Springs down and told him they installed a kit.

So now I get to spend $125 for a 3K GSK tomorrow, I already have the HD valve springs, and the HD baby springs for 4K GSK were given to me.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Pretty lame deal if you ask me. At least it won't cost you too much. Let us know if that is what it takes to make it work.

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
Took it apart this evening. Piers was correct, I only had OEM springs in there. They must have been REALLY cranked down because the thing would hit 4K RPM's @ 1/2 throttle. :confused:

Ran into another prob tonight. :rolleyes: -cuss :mad: it will be rendered tomorrow. Meacham Evins @ Cedar City Diesel in Lebanon TN is THA MAN! ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online