3/4 ton crew cabs

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but how new do I have to go to get a true crew cab on a 3/4 ton dodge? I am brainstorming for my wife's next vehicle. Needs to be able to haul the family and the dogs comfortably. My 93 ext cab f250 does the job, but by the time you put a car seat in the back, there's NO leg room left for my daughter. She's only 20months now, but in a couple of years when we replace the car, she's going to need some leg room. Looks like I can get a '94 f250 quad cab, but I'd rather have a 12V ctd than a powerstroke.

Thanks,
Mark

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but how new do I have to go to get a true crew cab on a 3/4 ton dodge? I am brainstorming for my wife's next vehicle. Needs to be able to haul the family and the dogs comfortably. My 93 ext cab f250 does the job, but by the time you put a car seat in the back, there's NO leg room left for my daughter. She's only 20months now, but in a couple of years when we replace the car, she's going to need some leg room. Looks like I can get a '94 f250 quad cab, but I'd rather have a 12V ctd than a powerstroke.

Thanks,
Mark

man thats a good question, you got me thinkin. I had an 05 crew cummins and traded it off for a tahoe when the little one came. Im not sure when they came out w/the true crew, but the 05 didnt have much more room than a ford ex cab. Get the 94 quad and slap a 12 valve in it. I have heard that the conversion not to difficult. My 94 crew has way more room than the 05 dodge.
GB
Newly

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a quick search of craigslist (using craigzoom) last night, and I couldn't find any F250 quad cabs from '94. If I could find one with an 7.3l IDI my search would be over, but I didn't think they made them in '94. I know that they made them in '97 though.

My second option/thought was just what you're saying. Try to find an early powerstroke, and run it for a while, then do a conversion. I was hoping to avoid a conversion though because I really don't need another project to do, and and I'm new to diesels, and I highly doubt that I have the tools/know how to do it. The tools I can buy a lot cheaper than the know how. :(

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
Ford has made crew cabs since atleast the 80's that I know of, but they didn't start the diesels untill 85. I'm sure if you look hard enough you will find one. Post a thread on the Ford 6.9/7.3 IDI part of the site if you realy want to find a Ford, or if you just need info on one... including the cummins swap. There is a lot of very good info and people on there. As for the room inside the truck.... I don't think you are gonna find what you are looking for in the Dodge's. The only one close [and is acually a little bigger then my F350crew], is my friends 06 or 07 mega cab Dodge.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly the kind of info that I was looking for. Thanks. I posted a similar thread on the IDI section last night after it dawned on me. Ford has only been making crew cabs on the 3/4 ton since 96, and from what I can tell, it looks like it must have been LATE in 96 because I can't find ANY for sale on craigslist regardless of engine, trany, or drive train type. I could get a crew cab on a 1 ton, but I'd rather not. I don't really think there's much of a difference, but my gut says that fuel millage will be slightly better on a 3/4 ton. There are a fair amount of '97 crew cabs though, and a lot of them have the psd. That's probably the route that I'll start with, and then try try the swap. I've heard good things about the '97 PSD, but it sounds like they are REALLY expensive to maintain. I'd much rather have the 12V ctd in it. Heck, I'd rather have the 12V ctd than my 7.3 IDI N/A, but my 7.3 ain't too bad, and it just isn't worth it to me to spend the time and $$ to do a swap on an engine that's perfectly fine.

Now what would really be sweet would be to find an '02 F150 crew cab and figure out how to fit some kind of little turbo diesel in it. I'm afraid that all of the electronics would just be too much for me to even think about though. If anyone has any good ideas on that, let me know cause I'd love to hear them.

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ferd even had crew cabs in the '70's take the old 4 door hiboy I even thought about doing a 12V conversion into one.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive always dreamed about an old chevy apache, convert to crew and drop a cat in it. saw one in cali. when i lived there, it was reg cab and the body work was not complete, but still pretty sick!!!

Iroc12valve

Reaction score
12 valves only came from the factory from 1994 to 1998 with 2 bodies regular(no back seat) and club cab, on 97 and prior the back doors dont open, its the same as a 2 door car. 1998 they came with suicide doors.
1998 is the only year to have a 12 valve and back doors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online