2002 f550 super duty wont start

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It's a buddy run out of fuel and I think have air on the lines he tried to start too many times and batery died. I have an IDI and was looking for a shader valve but this is the first time I try something on one of this new ones and I cant find it.

How do I bleed it?

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I think the 550 has an electric pump like the 250/350 does. If it does, remove the cap fromt he fuel filter and cycle the key on. You should see the fuel level rise. If not, the truck might have a mechanical pump. If that is the case, just fill the filter up and screw the cap back on. I am sure someone else here can clarify the electric vs mechanical pump.
It may still take a little cranking to get it running again but nothing too excessive. That is providing that the only problem is that it ran out of fuel.
Best of luck
Kenny

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yea well I dont really know, but he did said he run out of fuel and then he could not start it so I'm going from there. Now, just so I understand, The fuel filter is right on top of the engine and if electric I take the cap and crank, if not fill it with fuel put it back and crank again.

Thank you a lot I'll try this and post back in about 1 hr. I have to drive there to do it. I love this place. :thumbsup:

jvencius

Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
Yea well I dont really know, but he did said he run out of fuel and then he could not start it so I'm going from there. Now, just so I understand, The fuel filter is right on top of the engine and if electric I take the cap and crank, if not fill it with fuel put it back and crank again.

Thank you a lot I'll try this and post back in about 1 hr. I have to drive there to do it. I love this place. :thumbsup:

The Super Duty has an electric fuel pump located on the driver's side frame rail about at the level of the driver's-side front door.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
well I opened the cap on the fuel filter and it was empty somebody pened before Me thinking he was bleeding it so I filled it up with diesel and crank a few times but still wont start. What next guys? :confused: I'm holding for any ideas.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
no way to bleed system , it bleeds itself.
may have other issues, glow plugs, hpop, cps. low batteries.
kinda hard to tell.
also check fuses, may have blown one.
did it actually run out of fuel????
Nick

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well I have it jumped on my batt while my truck is runing, cranked and cranked but no start. He said also he put a can of fast starter on the air inlet while cranking this morning (can this new engines use this?). Will try cranking again some more and report with any results.

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
I would drain the fuel back out of the bowl(yellow lever on the side is the fuel drain) and see if it fills the bowl back up by itself with the pump you could also hear the pump if you listen closely for a couple of seconds when you first turn the key on. don't forget to check the oil if it is to low it won't start.

The glow plugs if they are working will just looooooooooovvvvvvvveeeeeeee the starting fluid.I don't reccommend it.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well I didn't got close to the fuel pump but it does have pressure I tried to open the cap from the ff and fuel came out skirting so it does have pressure. I'll check the oil again this engine does lick a bit and the starter liquid I told him I would never use it in my IDI but I didn't know about the new engines so you confirm what I suspected.

Thank you, will post with some results. Any more ideas?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
oil level is fine, battery is ok, there is fuel in the lines and pressure at the fuel filter bowl. I'm runing out of ideas with this pos and I love my no computer IDI every minute. Help!

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you getting any white smoke at all while cranking?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Haven't seen any, I can smell something after he crank it line kerosene. We had my idi jumped to it to charge he's battery for hours he cranked it and still wont start. I tryed to remove the cap from the f filter and a strim of fuel came out so there is pressure in there.

wath else could it be, he said He only run out of fuel.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Now I know squat about these electronic diesels, but is it possible this all could have triggered a limp mode, or safety precaution set into the puter that can all be reset by simply disconnecting the batt. cables for a minute?
I know from experience that the 99 up 7.3's wont run if it detects no-oilpressure, and you have to disconnect the Batt. cables to clear the puter.
Just my 2 cents seems how ya gone through the mechanical stuff, maybe hook up a OBDII to it n see what it finds. Good luck, hope ya get er up n runnin soon! n hope its somethin simple too at that!
Id try to clear the puter first thing.

:draw

on edit, If he really gave the ether to er, its gunna stink out the pipe untill everylast vapor of that stuff is gone!
Where exactly r u guys? if my truck was runnin (got probs too!) n I had my tax money id grab my OBDII scanner n drive down there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online