Garage Kept
Solid Frame and Body
Good Safe Family Hauler and Grocery Getter
Clear and Clean Title in Our Name
Cassette Tape Player Still Works!
Front Seat Leather Replaced in Past 5 Years

You must be registered for see images attach

Call 423-833-7052 for details.

Quality Large and Fine Air Filter: Factory Ford Kit - 7.3L Donaldson Air Induction System
Fresh Batteries (2)
Hutch Modded Fuel Tank (maintenance)
Pillar Guages (turbo/transmission temp/exhaust temp)
Superchips Tuner
PIAA Fog Lights
Electric Trailer Brake Controller
4" Exhaust
Magnaflow Muffler
Stainless Exhaust Tip

Photos are all real except the license plate has been scratched out. This truck is under daily family use, so it is dusty and has a few scratches. We cleaned it enough to make it presentable.

Long-winded detailed description:

You already know, but this is a legendary 7.3, which is not made anymore. The Excursion is also discontinued.

This is my "wife's" truck, but I get to drive on long trips!

The engine runs as it should, starts as it should, and has zero blow-by as cheched at the oil fill port while the truck is running. This 7.3 engine is huge and heavy and incredible. We bought the truck with the 4" (I think) exhaust from turbo outlet all the way back already installed. It has a minimal muffler so it sounds a bit louder than stock but sounds nice. It is subdued and conservative but different than stock.

We have owned this truck for 5 years and this is our second 7.3 Excursion.
We bought the truck when we lived in Johnson City, TN. The truck was driven there at least a few years before, and now in KY the last 5 years. It has not seen much salt because it doesn't snow that much here, and when it does my wife is afraid to drive. We spray under the truck when the snow melts away, which is a couple of times per year.
Previous owner of this truck had 7.3 work trucks, liked them, and bought this Excursion for his wife, who didn't like the truck and asked to sell it. That is why we got it.
We are at least the 3rd owner of the truck.

We replaced the water pump and serpentine belt and hoses within the past 4 months.
Middle passenger side seat and one of the rear seats has a small rip and degraded leather from use. We covered it with a cheap cover so the kids would not further wear at it getting in an out. The leather is still there, but needs work.

When loaded with 44 gallons of fuel and all of our stuff I think this thing weighs over 8,000 lbs. Wow.

Excursions are known, sadly, for poor handling and ultra-soft leaf springs. The soft springs were supposed to make them more comfortable for the soccer moms. Our other Excursion had terribly saggy springs, which we replaced with good results. This one seems to have decent springs which have not sagged like the ones on our other truck did. We also made a mild and reversible modification to the rear springs on this truck to stiffen them - we clamped the additional rear "helper" leaves directly to the other portion of the leaf spring pack. This forces all the springs to work together 100% of the time, stiffening the rear. This helps this truck handle better on wavy roads and tow better with a hitch load because the rear doesn't sag as much.

It had 176,000 miles or so when we bought it and has performed great up to the current 230,000 miles.
This thing starts better than our older 7.3. It starts on glow plugs easily down to about 30 degrees or lower. It has 2 reasonably new batteries which we installed. It has a block heater, which we use when it is really cold, mainly to get some heat!

Previous owner installed the pillar gauges. They work, but we don't like them. They are a bit large.

This truck developed the standard broken plastic fuel pickup which many Ford 7.3s do which caused it to nearly run out of fuel when guage says 1/4 tank. We took the sending unit out, deleted the screens which clogs, and modified things so that fuel picks up from bottom of fuel tank. Copper lines and compression fittings per DieselTechRon method were done. It should last the life of the vehicle that way. We have had zero issues so far. This fix is called the Hutch mod.

We changed transmission fluid and pan filter at 200,000 miles. It is due now, and we will probably do that this week.

Brake rotors have been changed as have pads, sometime since we owned it, but I have no records of it. Each are a couple of years old.
We replaced the rear axle bearings and seals after one began to seep. We caught it before it lost any appreciable amount of gear oil. We topped it back up with about 1/2 quart.

Truck has a trailer brake controller under the dash, an aftermarket addition. No idea the history there...somebody along the way pulled something with this. We pulled a couple of cows a few times, and a U-haul trailer when moving.

Changed oil every 5k. This beast takes 16 quarts or 4 gallons per oil change. A futomo valve on the drain plug opening makes it easier and tool-less.

Interior seat covers replaced with leather from Richmond Auto Upholstery. https://leather-auto-seats.com/

Fog lights in front operate from a factory Ford fog light switch added to the truck.

The truck drips a little from around the oil pan. It drips maybe a teaspoon every few days.

Shocks are 1 year old. They are black OEM-sized shocks. Nothing special but they work.
Drips a little oil at the oil pan. It is running down the back of the engine from somewhere and always has. Very very slow leak.

Factory Ford 7.3L Donaldson Air Induction System
This air filter is huge, flows well, yet catches dirt well.

Superchips 1855 Tuner
I run on "light tow" all the time. It gives the truck more throttle response.
"Fuel Economy" makes it shift into high gear too much.

OBD Link EX101 for hooking to a laptop with Forscan software.
I used this checking for injector function and other things. I did a buzz test.
We replaced #8 injector with factory new long-lead Ford injector, but we don't think it really needed it. We were concerned about how the exhaust sounds, but now think it is due to the larger exhaust. We have since noted the same "chug chug" sound on other similar 7.3 trucks.

Tires are slightly oversized 285/75/16 BF Goodrich All Terrains with about 1/3 to 1/2 life left. They have some wear and are not new. We rotate them and keep them aired up. I have a set of Cooper HT3s picked out, but have not purchased new tires yet.

I have no idea why the grill is from a different model year Ford truck. We bought it that way. It shows no signs of a crash. Judging by the exhaust and guages, I'd say someone swapped it for looks.

We like the size and safety of these trucks. My wife drives this truck and likes the safe feeling of driving her kids in a sturdy vehicle. These trucks give one the "right-of-weight" out on the road. We experienced a crash in a similar Excursion which we owned prior this one. Our other Excursion was totaled in a head-on crash... my wife and kids walked away from that crash with no injuries. We were hit in the front by a loaded dually F350 flatbed with a whole cut-up tree (several thousand pounds) on top of the flatbed. Police and tow truck people told us at the scene that in their experience the large truck saved us from harm. We were told had we been in a minivan we would likely have had a more grim outcome.

Due to $5+ diesel prices we can't justify driving it anymore just to haul groceries and kids around because we don't use the pulling capability that this thing offers.
We hate to see her go.
By the way, her name is "Reddy", according to our kids. We are fond of her. She is part of the family. (trucks aren't people, we know)

Attachments

• 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

DieselNate

DieselNate
Reaction score
And ...

Attachments

• 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 3
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    246.6 KB · Views: 3

DieselNate

DieselNate
Reaction score
And...

Attachments

• 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    308.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    569 KB · Views: 6
  • 25.JPG
    25.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 26.JPG
    26.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 7

DieselNate

DieselNate
Reaction score
Didn't see a way to edit original post.
Price now $20,000
Willing to trade for 5.3 Suburbans with seating for 8-9 or Nissan NV with 6-cylinder.

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That may be a 6.0 grill with the bottom trimmed off to fit. Why, I don't understand. I prefer the X grill.

I would hold at this point. Don't give away your truck, you'll regret it. The truck market has gone way soft and we're going into a recession. Just drive less to save fuel, and be safe in the X. I'm a fireman and will not even get in smaller vehicles than our Super Dutys. Seen too many bad wrecks with the smaller car opened like a sardine can.

BTW I had a 2000 Limited just like yours. Recent pics attached. I sold it to a buddy when we moved to yurrup with the understanding that I could buy it back if we came home. 15 years later ... we moved back. But he'd installed onboard air, water, cabinets, bed, redone the roof rack, and added a bunch of ham stuff. He's also been up the AlCan Highway! I didn't have the heart to ask him if I could buy it back. Our kids are bigger now, 2 are moved out, so we get by with crew cab 7.3s, easier to find than Xs. A good X like yours was nearly $35k when we landed here in 2017. Texas loves Excursions. I found my first cc 7.3 at a dealer, the owner ran the lot, and he bought it new. I got my checkbook right away and 3 others tried to buy it while I was completing paperwork. $10k, and now I have another $6k into tuning and improvements. Pic attached.

Attachments

• GantorBrettBlur.jpg
    GantorBrettBlur.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 8
  • GantorBrettFront.jpg
    GantorBrettFront.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 9
  • NewBumperBlur.jpg
    NewBumperBlur.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 9

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would hold at this point. Don't give away your truck, you'll regret it. The truck market has gone way soft and we're going into a recession. Just drive less to save fuel, and be safe in the X. I'm a fireman and will not even get in smaller vehicles than our Super Dutys. Seen too many bad wrecks with the smaller car opened like a sardine can.
I have often thought this. I commute in a 2005 VW Passat Wagon. (49 miles 1-way)

90% of the traffic here are Crewcab 3/4’s and above due to the amount of construction. And they drive like crazy, pass on double yellow, etc. They call it the Montrose 500 like everyone is racing. It gets scary at times.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have often thought this. I commute in a 2005 VW Passat Wagon. (49 miles 1-way)

90% of the traffic here are Crewcab 3/4’s and above due to the amount of construction. And they drive like crazy, pass on double yellow, etc. They call it the Montrose 500 like everyone is racing. It gets scary at times.

Yep, I live just outside of Indianapolis in a small town, but work in the heart of downtown (I’m less than 2 blocks from the “circle” where the monument is), so I have to drive downtown everyday. I have the choice of 3 vehicles to drive (one is my son’s) an 11 F-150, an 03 Excursion and a 90 F-250 IDI……. There are a few reasons I drive bigger vehicles, part is I have a big family and I am 6’4” and 350lb….. but trust me, the only racing in town isn’t over at 16th and Georgetown like you might think………

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@snicklas. I believe you. The German cars have surprising room. I’m 6’4” 205lbs, but both my dad (6’2” 300) and my brother in law, your same size have both commented on interior room.

But that helps ZILCH in an accident. The 42 mpg is hard to give up right now, and the handling, and the driving experience.

The wife agrees with you guys, so I am sure the commuter will turn larger on the next commuter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online