2 Hobart 500amp welders, Perkins 4cyl diesels

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have two identical Hobart Mega Arc 500 amp diesel welders. 1977 or 78 I believe. Both have a 4cyl perkins diesel, both have under 4000hrs. One runs and welds great and the other will run with some new batteries but was no longer producing output voltage at the welding terminals. But it did, just suddenly stopped. Could be various things but have not looked into it.

Taking reasonable offers on one or both. I can deliver within
You must be registered for see images attach
a few hundered miles.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
They are generators to, should have added that. However, they only have two 115V recepticles which are self excited. No 230V So not really suitable for stricktly generator use but yes, they are generators also.

Thanks. And as for how much? Im taking offers. Im thinking around $1500 for the working one and half that for the one that needs work. In that ball park anyways.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would bet the one that isnt working is the bridge rectifier or its connections are broken, easy fix, we have one just like it only its an airco..

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Thanks Russ. Hopefully I can get a chance to take a look at it one day. They are good ol machines. Heavy.....but good!

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be interested, long drive for me though... I don't have anywhere to put one right now though. If you've still got one in a few months I might take it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without more AC generator function I can't really see me needing anything that humongous at all sadly. 500 amp is a bit big for a guy at a home shop..not like welding on pipeline or 1" plate or nothing LOL

How bout that engine hoist U mentioned...any pics of the beast?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
On welding tips and tricks, I saw someone else mention DC only welders, it was a gas engine only thing, the diesels had ac. (Different welder though)
My question is, why can't you convert it? Or is that big $$$? I'll skip over there if I can find it.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online