1999 dodge cummins shifting problem

Craig33

Reaction score
I have had the computer replaced and reflashed several times. The problem is that the truck shifts in and out of 3rd and 4th gear at 45 mph. When the computer is flashed it goes away for a few weeks and then the problem comes back slowly, and then starts to do it all the time. Any Ideas???

Batman

Reaction score
Back when I had a DTT trans and TC, they had suggested not to go into 4th until at elast 45-50 (depending on rear gear).

You may be 'lugging' the motor at those speeds causing the computer to down shift, then up, and back.

HTH

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Yep that's a good possibility. Especially if at those speeds you're feathering the throttle or something. I don't know if the 99 trucks had the programming, but you may try to pull the codes through the odometer. IF the truck is throwign a code you may get some informaiton there.

From the key beign at off, turn the truck on to run (do not start it you just want it where everything comes alive), then back to off, on, off, on. One the third time at the on position leave it there and your odometer may change to a code. Write them down and post them.

dieselbeef

Reaction score
clean all yer grounds. especially the batterys. engine blocks.alternators. anything wwith any corrosion will do this exact problem. bellieve it or not its wrth yer time. mine does it occasionally.

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
The 'key trick' didn't start until the '00's!

it sounds to me that it's not going from 3rd to 4th but the converter is locking and un-locking on ya!

just my pennies worth!

NoGin_Cummins

Typical Dodge Owner
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly, I would say its probably your converter locking and unlocking, most people don't know the difference.

wvcumminsguy

Reaction score
My converter does this, everyonce in awhile I'll get an occasional shudder from the tranny... especially when I have a load behind it. While we're on the subject, is there any way to correct this? Or is a lower stall converter the only way to get around it?

NoGin_Cummins

Typical Dodge Owner
Reaction score
What kind of fluid are you running? I have heard about shudder complaints when running Dexron... ATF +4 usually helps....

wvcumminsguy

Reaction score
As embarrassing as this is for me to say... I honestly don't know. I had the local garage flush it out last time because as usual, my schedule wouldn't allow me to do it myself. I'll have to ask him what he put in it.

And about 3 weeks after that is when I installed the power programmer, which I'm sure didn't help much either... I keep it on stage 2 most of the time.

dieselbeef

Reaction score
shuddering and lock/unlock are 2 different issues. i just had to clen my battery terminals last night..funny timing huh...was doin the lock unlock thing again. bout every 3 or 4 mons i clean the terminals and it goes away and drives better too. i know it sound like bs but it aint. wife wants to know why i gotta keep doin it...??????...i put terminal cleaner and pads and termnal protectant on it this time..well see how long it lasts

wvcumminsguy

Reaction score
My cousin owns a local shop, took it down there today and had him hook diagnostics to it... ya'll were right, its the crankshaft position sensor. The code is also comparable to the cam position sensor, but since my tach isnt working, it has to be the crankshaft position sensor. Put it on order, it'll be in tomorrow, gonna cost around $100 bucks.

VALKYRIES

Reaction score
shifting problems

Keep the replaced one clean it and measure it with a meter. In one of the Dodge diesel magizines there was a procedure for measuring the voltage on the orange wire to the PCM. If it was more then 5 volts it would do as you describe . There was a fix if one put a resistor of (resistance and wattage) would drop the voltage below 5 and all would be well. Hope this isn't nessecary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online