1993 Ford F-Super Duty XLT - "Log Truck" (new to me truck-pic heavy)

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Linky to the place where you got the DEPO lights pls? They sure look good, but OMG those stupid clips that hold the headlamp housings in place, them things are just plain evil!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i was able to grab a complete 6 set off ebay for the f250 but i didn't see the affordable complete combo this time,so i made my own (these will eventually no longer work and will require a fresh search on ebay using keywaords: 92-96 clear depo and: clear f150 bumper lights / and things of the sort,should bring up what your looking for) so i went with;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Euro-Clear-...:1996|Model:F-150&hash=item2333674346&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-CHROME...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4415acf1&vxp=mtr
then i needed some new trims;
http://www.amazon.com/Evan-Fischer-...qid=1386772016&sr=8-1&keywords=EVA18972011244
http://www.amazon.com/Evan-Fischer-...qid=1386772063&sr=8-1&keywords=EVA18972011245

yeah.miserable job swapping the suckers out.then the new headlights are so cheap you've got to be careful not to brake clips,but some things you want to trade on the old depending on what works easier etc.a good old time but nice sharp results of course in the end.plus ya can see at night which never hurts.:D

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hows the camera quality? 100 bucks for whole unit is awesome!

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's more electrical work in this evenings episode of log truck.............

so today i woke up as usual......as a wimp just wanting to sip some coffee and wait around for more parts to arrive in the warm house lol.but alas i braved the bitter cold,the mountain peaks of Maine with the blizzard and nor'easter's rolling in with 4' of white stuff tumbling down from the heavens........ok.ok.so it was a calm clear day here at sea level.....but that's always my feelings when i layer up to go out lol!

ok enough fooling around......it was time to put the new headlights and that new headlight w/ harness (thank you previous owner) on some relays to take the load off the switch and get full power where it counts,at the lights.
so after rigging up a harness and tucking it neatly away,it was time to fix that door that wont stay open! ah i hate that.so drop the door down just enough to remove a broken door hinge spring and replace it.
all went great,short of just one little issue.the doorman HELP! part was simply more wimpy than i am when it comes to the cold weather.the dang thing will just barely hold the door open and with a little breeze there she goes.walk over to the f250 and see the oem door spring.ahh yes,that's whats needed.clearly a much thicker spring.so....don't waste your time trying to use the doorman replacement.i generally find those parts acceptable.below oem spec,but acceptable.not in this case.
stay tuned.until next time.thanks for watching log truck on channel 444.;Sweet

Attachments

• 72.jpg
    72.jpg
    774.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 73.jpg
    73.jpg
    670.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 74.jpg
    74.jpg
    764 KB · Views: 33
  • 75.jpg
    75.jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 76.jpg
    76.jpg
    756 KB · Views: 31
  • 77.jpg
    77.jpg
    781.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 78.jpg
    78.jpg
    573.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 79.jpg
    79.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 97
  • 80.jpg
    80.jpg
    677.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 81.jpg
    81.jpg
    539.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hows the camera quality? 100 bucks for whole unit is awesome!

oh not bad at all Greg.for the $ it works perfect imho.it's not going to hd thats for sure and a low end line like this,the colors are not going to be super.it's just right imho for keeping a clear view of whats going on behind ya and monitoring your trailers etc just fine.the dvd quality is fair too.again don't expect it to look as good as your tv in your house for this $.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
tonight on log truck...........log truck gets some balls lol and yet more electrical work.

Tow Ready 63011 Black Pintle Hook with 2" Ball
Tow Ready 63052 Pintle Hook Replacement Ball
Hopkins 40975 Multi-Tow Plug-In Simple Wiring Kit
Hopkins 40985 Universal Multi-Tow Harness Connector
Bulldog Keyless Entry System w/relay for parking light confirmation

so thanks to the free trial of "prime" from amazon,stuff comes in at a nice pace (2 day shipping! free for 30 days.)
it was more wiring work today, with a keyless entry unit that i had also installed in the f250 years back.
getting to cheat again,i simply took a peak at what i did to that truck without the need to trace out wires with the multi meter again......nice.
the unit is easy to hook up,but if you want the running lights to flash so you can see if it unlocked/locked from afar,then you've got to fish a couple wires through the door......oh joy.then hook up a relay with power,a trigger from the unit,and a tap into the running light circuit (was blue wire up at the headlight switch.)
now she's like chip truck.i stood back and played with the FOB's and had chip and logger flashing light Christmas trees.:D

now right as i was finishing up, the man in brown showed up yet again with the new pintle/ball combo hitch and the updated universal tow plug i also installed on chip truck,a 7 and a 4 prong combo plug to eliminate any need for adapters for trailers.real handy.
so i began to crank off the hitch nuts and the first one just wanted to spin as if it was stripped and wouldn't back out.well,i wasn't messing around and i reached for a tool i knew would make light work of that little issue.;)
out with the old pintle hitch,which would only house a 3500 lb 2" ball due to it's small shank size and in with a combo hitch that can take a larger shank for a higher rated 2" with one all included.a nice 10k lb rated ball like iv got on chip truck.
while at it,a correctly sized 2 5/16" 14k lb rated ball that i can always swap out if needed for larger trailers and then of course for anything more serious so as not to let the f450 go wasted,a pintle for real trailer towing should the need ever arise.;Sweet
this concluded the day.next i'll have to run up the frame and source the two missing wires mentioned earlier to be sure iv got all wires needed out back for my trailer brakes and battery charge for my dump trailer (and back up cam power.) i'll need to mount the plug lower than the old one.notice its up real high there.i'd have to make extensions for all my different trailer plugs.not going to do that and have them dragging when hooked up to the low ridding chip truck.i'll simply mount the updated tow plug down by the ball so everything reaches easily.should have this knocked out tomorrow with time to spare for other things.until then,keep it right here on log truck and thanks for watching the progress of this old fixer upper heavy hauling and towing idi rig.hope your enjoying and feel free to ask any questions about installing anything you've seen done thus far.;Sweet

Attachments

• 82.jpg
    82.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 83.jpg
    83.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 84.jpg
    84.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 85.jpg
    85.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 86.jpg
    86.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 33
  • 87.jpg
    87.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 88.jpg
    88.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 36

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah it's so freaking miserably cold out that i just gave up today.iv had enough.i can't find the damn blue electric brake wire nor the orange 12v battery charge.i finally went right back to the beginning and started at the plug at the firewall and it's as if they didn't even get pinned in.what the heck? what kind of tow package is this? they should both be like 10 gauge wires.least i quickly saw the orange one was on the f250 but didn't see the blue one right off.i was getting cold and called it quits.rather figure it out in here.
the relays and fuses are in place for them,the brake controller wiring harness and plug is run up under the dash.i hope they're run into the cab from the power distribution box.
i took a little time to start in cleaning up some E40D plugs,so i at least got a little something done.

Attachments

• 89tow.jpg
    89tow.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 90tow.jpg
    90tow.jpg
    922.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 91tow.jpg
    91tow.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 19
  • 92tow.jpg
    92tow.jpg
    611.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 93tow.jpg
    93tow.jpg
    686.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 94main.jpg
    94main.jpg
    706.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 95mlps.jpg
    95mlps.jpg
    618.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 96tps.jpg
    96tps.jpg
    670.2 KB · Views: 21

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i'll be a monkeys uncle.look.
so needless to say,no wonder i couldn't find those looking over the frame wasting my time lmao.should have started here and worked my way back uh? ;) haha well who would have known ford would have done a trick like this? anyone ever see anything like this before? and no,nobody pulled them.flip the plug over and the plastic is solidly filled.never knocked out from the factory.
anyway,so iv got to have two rolls of 25' 10 awg wire.

Attachments

• 97tow.jpg
    97tow.jpg
    572.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 98towa.jpg
    98towa.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 29

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run your own wiring, Ford is known for undersizing theirs anyways. Put the trailer battery charge wire on a constant duty relay and trigger it manually, this way you won't have the truck drawing off the trailer battery during engine startup.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah,i can't believe this.who builds an f450 without the tow package? lmao.i have a feeling the devoted backup light,stop/turn and running light circuits are also missing.i'll need to find those too,so i can simulate the whole thing.this way if a trailer shorts out,it doesn't take out the trucks lights too.this was really just a silly safety issue.they should have just run the wires since the brake control wiring,fuses and relays are all still there,just as if you've got the tow package it looks like.just a lack of some wires run.fully locked and loaded right at the plug ready to go (im guessing.i didn't get a chance to test them,but i don't see any reason whatsoever it's not the case) crazy.

note for whom it may concern;
(devoted trailer circuit book says '92 and up.)
blue = 10 awg - brakes.
orange = 10 awg - 12v+ key on/run (battery charge)
yellow -? still need to find (blinker?)
dark green - ? still need to find (the other sides blinker?)
brown/white = running lights. still need to find.
red/yellow = backup lights - still need to find.

possibly,but not sure yet.iv got to go look in person,but the brown/white - running lights, might be here (see attached pic)

it's going to only be in the teens tomorrow and we've got a foot or so of the white crap coming in.so not sure i'll get to this or not tomorrow.iv got to move trailers,equipment and trucks around and hook up the plow to chip truck,but i might get a few mins in between that and countless coffee brakes lol.:D

Attachments

• 98towb.jpg
    98towb.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure this thing was even available with backup and brake/turn relays? Older trucks only got the running lights on a relay, everything else was run thru the truck's own wiring - I had to add my own brake/turn relays, and my reverse lights are still non-relayed (which reminds me I should change that soon).

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh maybe thats how it is.cus i see on some older 9th gens they have a small spare relay box next to their power dist box.and now that you say that,i did run over to chip truck (after looking at this schematic in haynes 36058 book chapter 12-page 63 - very last page before the index) and i didn't see those on the f250.
but still in the power dist box,there are all of these mentioned on devoted trailer circuits.the owners manual does call trailer lamps "relay feed" p.313 though no.no mention of the others on them.just what looks like devoted fuses though? so if they are there too,and just not run,it would be a good idea.this way at least of a trailer lights fuse blow,the trucks running lights wont pop out too.that would suck lol.
of course if i was smart i would take advantage of this and relay them all externally myself right now.at least the backup light.iv got some dual bright suckers on the dump trailer for backing in after dark.though the f250 has never had an issue.i was always thinking the backup circuit for the trailer was on a relay for some reason.i do believe your right.it may not be.

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's impossible to separate the power for the trailer reverse and brake/turn lights from those of the truck without relays tho. This is cause without relays you have one device (MLPS and multifunction switch respectively) powering two loads (truck and trailer), with relays you're down to one serious load (truck) and the other load (trailer) is entirely handled by the relays so then you can have two separate fused power feeds. In your situation I'd be opening up the bottom of the power distribution box and tracing where exactly the trailer lights wires come from and go to.

It is possible the fuses come between the reverse/multifunction switches and the trailer connector, this way the trailer will blow the fuse before it melts the respective switch... Still a stupid setup tho, but it is better than nothing. Get yourself a factory EVTM, the Haynes book can only help you so far.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really need to do the flush and fill when I add my new temp. gauge - and I think I will add the coolant filter. Do you have the Brand and P/N for the coolant filter head and filter? Also I think I will add an electric pump to mine as well - What did you use for a block off plate or did you just leave the old pump in place and cap the fittings? I have read the BB chevy plate is a bolt on. I guess the advantage to leave the old pump in would be as a hot spare. I ran the P/N for the pump you used, is it possible you are off by a digit or have the last number or 2 transposed? You listed it as transicold #30-01108-02SVI. love this build - lots of useful info and photos - keep up the good work.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really need to do the flush and fill when I add my new temp. gauge - and I think I will add the coolant filter. Do you have the Brand and P/N for the coolant filter head and filter? Also I think I will add an electric pump to mine as well - What did you use for a block off plate or did you just leave the old pump in place and cap the fittings? I have read the BB chevy plate is a bolt on. I guess the advantage to leave the old pump in would be as a hot spare. I ran the P/N for the pump you used, is it possible you are off by a digit or have the last number or 2 transposed? You listed it as transicold #30-01108-02SVI. love this build - lots of useful info and photos - keep up the good work.

coolant filter head;
http://www.amazon.com/Wix-24019-Filter-Mounting-Base/dp/B000CSINYU

coolant filter;
http://www.amazon.com/Wix-24070-Coolant-Spin-On-Filter/dp/B000CSD29Q
(once this catches all the sand casting after 6 -8k miles.i'll then switch to a penray nf2088)

don't forget some extra heater hose (and clamps if you need 'em)
http://www.amazon.com/Gates-28491-Inch-Polybag-Heater/dp/B000C2WEIC

fuel pump block off plate:
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-5422-Block-Off-Plate/dp/B000CMIZ0S
(use with a good amount of black high oil resistant rtv.nice thick coat on each side of gasket works good for me.)

e-pump:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?24142-Carrier-Pump-Group-Buy

glad your enjoying the thread.good luck and merry Xmas.;Sweet

Last edited: