1992 7.3 problem started then died

farmerscotty

Reaction score
have a 92 7.3 had it plugged in and started it right up. backed up about 20 feet. the high idle kicked off............and it died dead. Is there a fuse for the injector pump? where is it>? to check it............ran perfect till this..........I think it blew a fuse but dont know where to look.

brrr in missouri!! it is 19 f

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long did it run. If it was 30 secs or so I would say it ran out of fuel, from a leak or bad pump.

farmerscotty

Reaction score
It had been running an hour or so earlier for over an hour...........

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is their fuel in your filter. There should be a pressure port on the left hand side of the the fuel filter housing, about like a valve stem on a tire, press the schraeder valve. A little fuel should come out. If you have fuel there do you have power to the shut of solenoid? I believe it is the one on the left side of the injection pump. By the way my left side is always the drivers side no matter where I'm standing. Too many years of being a mech.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it sort of weaken, smother out, and die; or, did it just immediately shut-down, as turn the key OFF ??

As cold as it is, I suspect a cold-weather air-leak in the fuel system, or fuel gelling, possibly stopping up the filter.

Extra cold weather will open up tiny air-leaks in the fuel-lines that go un-noticed in more moderate weather.

They can be next to impossible to find, especially due to their intermittent appearances.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
correct me if im wrong...but couldn't this be an ip issue?? when the engines been up to temp and running for an extended period of time that the internals expand too much and actually cut off fuel??? isn't this where the warm water trick comes in?? i hope im not wrong, i've been trying to search the threads on this to check myself, but i couldnt find then quick enough.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Have you been running anti gel in your fuel regularly up to this point?

mahcire

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
mine did this exact thing one night. just had to replace the filter and i was up and running, luckily had one on me, just waited too long to install it.