1991 spare tire carrier upgrade & condenser swap

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone modified the factory carrier to use the spare tire winch from a newer truck?

Second question, has anyone tried a 1997 condenser on an earlier truck?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1)Has anyone modified the factory carrier to use the spare tire winch from a newer truck?

2)Second question, has anyone tried a 1997 condenser on an earlier truck?
1) I've thought about it but there's a feul tank in the way. the winch style carrier really intrudes into the frame area where our rear tank is at.
2) Dimensionally it should work. OBS PSD's use a radiator support that is a modified version of the 92-95 IDI's.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iirc the '97 is designed for R134.
That was my understanding, if so it might increase the efficiency for those mid summer days.

update:
regarding the spare tire carrier, I got the new spare tire and wheel this Saturday. After lengthening the bolts 2", tried to install the spare. The spare is 1/2" too wide to clear the receiver hitch and pushed tight against the back receiver hitch, there is about a 1/2" clearance between the tire and the axle.
So this spring, I will weld up a new receiver hitch and trying to come up with a better spare tire carrier.

Last edited:

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iirc the '97 is designed for R134.
It has been a few years... but when r134 came out and you installed a new system with all rubber parts you can convert r12 to r134... what makes a condenser designed for r134???? :dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online