1990 IDI diesel vs 1999 SD powerstroke, Fuel systems

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I have my 1990 f350 IDI and my grnadpa has our 1999 SD powerstroke mine has 95,118, and his has 92,300 miles, but we run the same diesel fuel and his truck bucks spits and has quit on him, mine on the other hand, running the same fuel doesnt do it al all, we think water is in the fuel, but our main supply tanks is 1/2 empty, but what is the tollerance differances in the IDI and powerstroke fuel system as far as the filters concerned??

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
see if its still got the black crank position sensor (passenger side above harmonic balancer). if it is, get updated Ford grey. black was recalled for missing and stalling.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to say exact same thing. Its more than likely the crank or cam position sensor......can't remember which one. My buddies truck had the same issue and we thought it was a fuel delivery issue. We must have spent an entire day trying to figure it out and finally he took it to dealership. Turns out it was that darn sensor that went bad.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start a thread in th PS section and try to get some help on old stroke. It sounds like a sensor or something more than water in fuel.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
aftermarket are. had a customers truck stall on the road with a trailer in tow. ran and picked up a parts store unit to get him back running to finish his job. he kept telling me that it would still stall and stumble. ordered a oem ford/international unit and its been good since.