1990 7.3 light throttle rattle

pwrfool

Reaction score
If I am cruising along with just a toe barely pushing on the pedal I hear what sounds like a faint rattle. If I lift off completely or push down farther it goes away. Any idea what to be looking at?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is common, the reciprocating assy is under no load so all the tolerances stack up to make a rattle, piston clearance, piston pin, con rod bearing, it all makes a noise when unloaded.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have this same sound. Most of the time it sounds like the turbo is rubbing the blades on the case. Has been happening since 2009 after my rebuild. Even too Mel for a ride when he installed Moose pump number 2 at the Bowling Green rally. He felt it was associated with my ac system cause it stopped making noise when he switched off the ac. Other times it sounds like my exhaust line is rubbing on something. Been checking that but find nothing. Maybe its time to install a 12 valve to get rid of the noise...:eek::angel:

pwrfool

Reaction score
Thanks guys!! Sounds like nothing to worry about, I'll keep on driving and enjoying the old girl.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the exact same thing, usually while cruising in OD, converter locked up at 55-60mph.