1990 7.3 IDI fan Belts

lgettler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed my Alternator :D and noticed 2 of the belts were showing ware. Where is the best place to buy good "V" belts for this thing.

Larry :thumbsup:

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
well not knowing where you are geographically, i cant tell you what flavor of AutoBone, Kargens, Schlutz, PepBoys etc to AVOID....they all suck and wouldnt know a gasser part from a diesel....i literally (when in desperation enough to resort to them) watch the screen to make sure they are even reading it right. i made this a rule after i asked for glowplugs and got handed 8 sparkplugs at AutoBone. i dont have it infront of me, but i think National Parts Depot and LMC truck have the belts on their websites.

lgettler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EvergreenRanch said:
well not knowing where you are geographically, i cant tell you what flavor of AutoBone, Kargens, Schlutz, PepBoys etc to AVOID....they all suck and wouldnt know a gasser part from a diesel....i literally (when in desperation enough to resort to them) watch the screen to make sure they are even reading it right. i made this a rule after i asked for glowplugs and got handed 8 sparkplugs at AutoBone. i dont have it infront of me, but i think National Parts Depot and LMC truck have the belts on their websites.

I'm in Chattanooga now. National parts nor LMC have belts. I agree with all the stores you mentioned above. Stay away from. I guess I off to the Ford stealership or International to get the belts.
'
Thanks for the help.
Larry

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what belts your using but the ones to stay away from are Gates. Everytime I put a Gates belt on my alternator it would fail within a few months. When I emailed Gates to ask them if there was a better belt and letting them know how many belts failed that they made they wrote back with a response saying that International designed the engine with a vibration in it. My response to them was of couse they designed an engine with a vibration in it, it's called a diesel engine and all diesel engines have vibration.

I went to Advance Auto parts and was hoping to get a Dayco. They did not have the Dayco I needed in stock so I had them order one and in the meantime they sold me a $5.00 belt called "Drive Rite" that is made by Dayco. That $5.00 belt is still on there and the Dayco belt I still have as a spare. Thats been on there well over a year now.

lgettler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compu Doc said:
I don't know what belts your using but the ones to stay away from are Gates. Everytime I put a Gates belt on my alternator it would fail within a few months. When I emailed Gates to ask them if there was a better belt and letting them know how many belts failed that they made they wrote back with a response saying that International designed the engine with a vibration in it. My response to them was of couse they designed an engine with a vibration in it, it's called a diesel engine and all diesel engines have vibration.

I went to Advance Auto parts and was hoping to get a Dayco. They did not have the Dayco I needed in stock so I had them order one and in the meantime they sold me a $5.00 belt called "Drive Rite" that is made by Dayco. That $5.00 belt is still on there and the Dayco belt I still have as a spare. Thats been on there well over a year now.

I stopped by Auto Zone and the guy offered me a Drive Rite with ribs and I declined but maybe it will work as you say. You are right about the vibration, you know some folks do not understand that, they think all engines should run like new car engines. LOL

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zeke is right-on with the Rock but my last ones came from Advance. Top -o-the-line Dayco. Had Napa Gold but was a waste of the extra money.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Larry, get what you can from the Ford dealer, but be advised. Some of our belts are no longer available through them. My Ford dealer fixed me up with a set for the Bronco, but one of them he had to get through a third party since Ford discontinued it. IH won't have some of them either, since the accessory layout can be vastly different in an S series truck.

lgettler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Larry, get what you can from the Ford dealer, but be advised. Some of our belts are no longer available through them. My Ford dealer fixed me up with a set for the Bronco, but one of them he had to get through a third party since Ford discontinued it. IH won't have some of them either, since the accessory layout can be vastly different in an S series truck.

Thanks Mel, I will go persue my issue with Ford, and then fill out the order maybe with Dayco.
Have a safe trip to the Rally and say hi to everyone. I wish I could be there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin