1988 f-250 7.3L idi where to put oil guage

smithrngr

Reaction score
i was wondering where to hook up the manual oil gauge. right now it is hooked up at the oil sender but is it a good place or at the the cooler, i have no clue. been around cars and truck my whole lif and even diesel's but this is the only one i have really gotton into. i have always just replaced the broken parts on the others.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just take out the factory sender and put it there. It you still want the dash gauge to work then you need a T fitting so you can use both senders.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there should also be a plug in the rear of the block on the driver side under the exhaust manifold, you can remove the plug and put the sender there

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory sender is an OK place to put it unless you have a turbo, then its not a bad idea to think about locating it at an alternative site.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
When I put my last engine in ,I wanted a warning buzzer as well as an oil pressure gauge. Too often we get locked into drivingand forget to check gauges often enough-I lost this engine that way.An ounce of prevention is betteren a pound of cure.I wanted a buzzer like I had in the semis I drove,obnoxious in the morning but so helpful when things go bad,like low air pressure-low oil pressure-low vacume & over heating. Buzzes and tells me to pay attention when a problem arises.I needed 1 pressure line for my manual gauge,1 for my stock gauge & one for my low oil pressure sending unit. Looks like I need an "oil pressure manifold" Using what I had laying around I soldered a t fitting to a short peice of sheet metal a little heaver then body metal-I found it in my scrap pile about 16 gauge drilled a hole in it and bolted it to the center bolt on the drivers side.I bent it so it had a lot of pressure against the manifold under the fitting to prevent vibration & stress fracture-put a piece of rubber between the manifold & the t so it wouldn't wear a hole in the manifold. made a new tube for the stock senedr to screw into with a 1/8 fitting on the side,slid the tubing thru a peice of clear vinal tub to prevent chafing. You can see in the pics the stock sender in its origional place and beside the air intake is my manifold.It is easy to get at when working on the engine & not in the way. I used a el-cheapo backup alarm from Autozone,wired the Oil pressure sensor 7 PSI-the over heat lamp sensor added another over heat sensor to the rear of the passenger head -wired those to gether and my vacume switch wired together with the rest.They all go to ground when a problem occures.I had measured the draw on the back up alarm I forget what it was but was low enough that the sensors would handle it nicely.Then I ran 1 wire from the oil pressure sensor (blue wires in the pic)to the alarm hidden way up under the dash.The other side of the alarm is wired to hot when running on the IGN switch.The sensors complete the circuit to ground.Works great-the alarm will shurley wake you up when a problem occures.It however buzzes while starting till the oil pressure is up.Makes a good way to know the system is in working order.
Mr Bill

Attachments

• Oil pressure sensor manifold.JPG
    Oil pressure sensor manifold.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Oil pressure line.JPG
    Oil pressure line.JPG
    317 KB · Views: 14
  • Another veiw of home made oil line.JPG
    Another veiw of home made oil line.JPG
    307.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Its running.JPG
    Its running.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 10
  • top view with turbo installed.JPG
    top view with turbo installed.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Evil_Jester

it wont die...
Reaction score
i hooked my oil psi gauge in on the side of the block, kinda under the oil cooler and in front of the oil filter. i wanted the stock gauge to keep workin.

smithrngr

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. i have a aftermarket gauge in it now, it is hooked up at the sender.if my memory recalls right i was only getting about 8-10 psi of pressure warn at a idle and about 40psi in 5th gear down the road at 55. i just was wondering if i changed the location if i would get a different reading, are the pressure reading's good or do i have a bigger problem on my hands. i have not started or drove the truck in about 4 years, i want to get it going and put it back on the road since no one wanted to buy it when it was for sale. but i might get it going and then try to sell it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online