1987 F-350 Crew Fummins build

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Looks great PapeCat. How crazy is it that our trucks are same year, just about the same color and even doing the Fummins. Mine bad the Alcoa's on it when I bought it 2 years ago.
The 1st gen Dodge Intercooler install is extremely easy. I opended up the core support a bit for inlet/outlet room. Welded and drilled flat bar between the framerails for the lower mounts. Drilled and cut pipe to bolt the too supports on. Ditched the hood latch brace, andshortened and re clocked the hood latch lever. As far as the grille and headlights, one required some trimming of the plastic. Everything fits and looks like original. I'm also using factory Dodge intercooler piping and boots. Had to make a longer boot for the passenger side since my exhaust manifold is flipped. Its a tight fit to reach the clamps for the boots at the intercooler, but definitely not that hard.
I have a few pics I can upload to show later on.

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PapeCAT,

do you have a build tread? Is that the ford AC pump that is mounted on the engine?

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
I'd also like to know more about that AC bracket, didn't notice it at first. I'd like to re-use my Ford AC compressor and lines if I can.

PapeCAT

Reaction score
Yeah It is the autoworld A/C mount setup for the Ford AC compressor. All factory lines fit. The bracket wouldn't be hard to fab but they have the billet pulley with Serpentine & Vbelt groove you can buy.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice Truck, I'm in the final stages of the same project, damn near. Except my motor is from a non i/c 1991.0 truck. I decided to go sans intercooler for now, but running an HE300VG VGT turbo mainly for exhaust brake and to see how the EGTs pan out. I have a powerstroke intercooler out of a 2001 but I think that Gen 1 intercooler looks like a nice fit and you were able to save the stock grille!

edit here are a couple pics, sorry for the thread hijack

You must be registered for see images attach

Do you have any pics of the intercooler setup? Also, I saw the tach setup in the center picture...where'd you get the parts, and what sensor are you using?

Thanks in advance ;Sweet

PapeCAT

Reaction score
I don't have an intercooler, but maybe you're asking teh OP bookite03. The tone ring is from Autoworld in Montana and the tach pickup sensor is the stock Ford unit.

http://www.cumminsdieselrepowers.com/Accessory_Brackets.html

The tone ring mounts in front of the OEM vibratory damper, (I bought the largest stock version available as the non i/c cummins trucks had the small one) A fluidampr will NOT work behind the tone ring, too big.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have an intercooler, but maybe you're asking teh OP bookite03. The tone ring is from Autoworld in Montana and the tach pickup sensor is the stock Ford unit.

http://www.cumminsdieselrepowers.com/Accessory_Brackets.html

The tone ring mounts in front of the OEM vibratory damper, (I bought the largest stock version available as the non i/c cummins trucks had the small one) A fluidampr will NOT work behind the tone ring, too big.
Thank you! I don't know why I missed where you said that you weren't installing the intercooler at the moment...I saw where you said that you had two IC's sitting around and assumed that one of them either was or was about to be installed. My mistake...and, thank you for the link to the tach bracket ;Sweet

scjarena

Reaction score
Nice Truck! Whats crazy is, I have a 86 F350 brown crew cab also in which I put in a early 5.9 Cummins. I finished mine about a year or two ago and have loved it ever since.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Little update. Had a 3200rpm governor spring installed in the VE pump, along with some more adjustments to the fuel screw, star wheel, rotated fuel pin and trimmed the fuel pin bushing. Lots more power...torque in every gear. 25# of boost and manageable EGT's and smoke. Money well spent, perma-grin every time I get behind the wheel.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the conversion! It looks good. How did your DCS mounts work out?

I just installed mine and the engine is slightly crooked in the bay. The mount bolts are straight and the shifter is pretty much centered in the opening. I put a question in to DCS, but it's a long weekend. :-(

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
strange... seems like the transmission mount, or the cross-member would be more likely to cause that than the motor mounts.. but hard to say I guess.. :dunno

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Mine seemed to fit right. Everything is level and bolted right in. We had the engine resting on the cross member and bolted down in about 30mins.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DCS said occasionally the frame/ crossmember has moved? Seems kinda wonky since everything is riveted together. The truck is in fantastic shape. I'm curious, if you were pull a measurement from the rear corner of the bay to the center of the front rocker cover bolt on both sides what the difference would be. Mine is right at 1". I'm going to try to move it to the passenger side .5". I cringe every time I look at that engine sitting there.

How far did the 16cm housing move the boost range? I also bought a BD 16cm housing to try to combat the spectacular turbo lag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86