1986 6.9 IDI leaking oil. HELP!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not wasting another 4 hours with a used one...

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Hold on....where is the leak from EXACTLY

4 O rings 2 gaskets and its rebuilt...plust time removing it dissassembling it cleanin it reassembly and install.

Time consuming yes but no need to purchase a NEW cooler...***** I likely have 4 or 5 floating around in my stock all seemed ok o big issues to speak of.

Just replace parts if rusted through...if just leaking past o rings or gaskets rebuild it.

Help us help you...we got parts...

Diesel1050

Reaction score
I already rebuilt it. There is a big hole in the cooler tube.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I already rebuilt it. There is a big hole in the cooler tube.

Ok so we get you a cooler tube...relax...no biggy...not worth having a coronary or thermonuclear meltdown over.

Besides...find a new one...if you can.

I know I have decent ooler tubes in stock but in middle of a trans swap not able to get it out till my job done...somebody else may have a tube more local

Just sayin

Diesel1050

Reaction score
Sorry guys. Didn't mean to get ticked off earlier. I hate getting screwed, and even though i've only been on this earth for 15 years i've made a lot of deals, on everything from garden tractors, to Jeeps, to trucks, and have yet to be screwed like this. Mind you i'm happier than a bear in the fish section at the grocery store, but still kinda mad that this guy did this. He knew it leaked, me not thinking shoulda realized that a $250 price reduction, no questions or haggling, 2 days after it was listed was a red flag. Minor details. Again, sorry i'm normally not an ass like this. Just frustrated. Anyway, how soon can one of you guys get me on of these things and what kinda price am I lookin at? I'm thinking a good condition, used one would be perfect since this motor will only be in the truck for a few years (As soon as Ford release another motor, the 6.4 trucks will drop in value, and I can get my hands on a wrecked 6.4 truck for a motor swap, for what I payed for this one!)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think had one floating around on a shelf floor bench someplace...once trucks handled I will see ifn I can dig it up getmpics and if you like what you see....

Pay shipping and its yers!

Truck likely be out of shop monday or tues so wont be looking till I am done.

Keep hoping for a local unit though...

Al

Diesel1050

Reaction score
So here's a thought. The leak, is a very, teeny-tiny-mini-micronic pinhole. In the spring, i'm gonna do a full resto on the truck, and rebuild the motor while i'm at it. So, this brings me to this thought. With the pinhole being so small, why can't I clean up the area real good, and either JB Weld it, OR use a repair kit for steel gas tanks (I have used these on a couple tractors, and they are AMAZING!) Condisering these can hold up to the acidity and whatnot that gas has, think it will suffice until I replace the cooler in ths spring? Not trying to halfass this. Just a thought.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If pin hole exists metal is then...

Also fuel tanks and such are mot usually under pressure like this would be.

What if it nlew off while driving down hiway...say 60mph...maybe jole gets worse and suddenly all the oil is pumped out of engine and you hear knock knock clatter clatter a d engine comes to a grinding halt.

Go ahead and try it sure just dont rely on it and think oh ya I am golden.

JM7.3CW

Runningaford

Reaction score
If you're worried about any replacement coolers having issues, any diesel shop should be able to pressure check it for you. It's far easier, and cheaper than contaminating your oil, or antifreeze, and it'll give you peace of mind that the part will last.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
This is not an area I'd cheap out. Epoxy ro wahtnot on fuel tanks is one thing, no pressure and the most it costs is a couple bucks plus however much fuel leaks. Losing oil pressure can destroy your engine is a few seconds at speed and it won't take long at idle either. Not worth the risk. Should be able to get a decent bundle well under $100 and orings to rebuild are $10-$20. I sold my last good oil cooler a while ago or I'd offer you a deal. I'm sure several people here have one and would be happy to hook you up for much cheaper than a new bundle.

Diesel1050

Reaction score
Like I said before, only gonna fix it until I rebuild the motor AND replace the cooler with a new one. Have a spare motor on its way too.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Take a hose clamp large enough to wrap around the cooler bundle shell. Use a small piece of rubber gasket material between the clamp and the shell case of the cooler bundle. Just clean off the rust that is probably near the pin hole leak. Don't even need to remove the cooler bundle from the engine for this to work well. But be sure to keep looking for a leak. If you have one place that leaks on a suspect cooler bundle shell there are plenty more ready to bust out.

Diesel1050

Reaction score
Take a hose clamp large enough to wrap around the cooler bundle shell. Use a small piece of rubber gasket material between the clamp and the shell case of the cooler bundle. Just clean off the rust that is probably near the pin hole leak. Don't even need to remove the cooler bundle from the engine for this to work well. But be sure to keep looking for a leak. If you have one place that leaks on a suspect cooler bundle shell there are plenty more ready to bust out.
This guy is a genius! I'm thinking epoxy it and then put this over it. That will last the winter no problem!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This guy is a genius! I'm thinking epoxy it and then put this over it. That will last the winter no problem!

Not hardly and sure not an expert. Please remember that experts built the Titanic and an amateur carpenter built the Ark. I'm just someone that hows a little about a lot of things. But thank you for the compliment.