1984 Mazda Diesel??

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a 1984 2wd Mazda pickup diesel 5 speed for sale that I'm thinking about buying. I have a couple of questions. I know it is basically a Perkins diesel and only has about 59hp. My goal would be to swap it into my 1991 ranger extra cab 4x4. In this setup I am afraid it would be greatly underpowered. Are there anythings I can do to the Perkins diesel to get some more power from it? What trannys will bolt up to the Perkins diesel? I have an ATS turbo from a 87 Ford 6.9 and was wondering if I could adapt it to the Perkins engine or is the just a dream?:dunno The truck would mainly be used around town with no heavy towing.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose any turbo can be made to fit any application, it just takes skill and time to do it. Im not sure about the tranny question, but their is a mazda diesel with a 4sp tranny forsale in florida for 800.

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've worked at an exhaust shop in the past and have friend that works at one so hooking up the turbo should not be that hard. I didn't know if it would be to large?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be a hare on the large side, but you could always find one off of a nisson or Mistubishi 4 cyl diesel. Ive seen them in the junkyard and they like tehy woud be perfect for a smaller diesel motor(I new I should have bought the wastegated one at the junkyard before it was crushed).

zpd307

Reaction score
i would use a smaller turbo off of a 4 cylinder. there are plenty of factory turbo 2.3's in turbo coupes out there yet. i bet you would get some serious lag with that idi turbo set up, since they are made for big v-8's.

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it is basically a Perkins diesel

Pretty old post but I thought I'd try. R U sure it's an english motor? I thought the Japinees were making them @ that point. I'm tryin to find a small 4 cyl to re-power a '70 Bronco. Heard 80s Nissan, Izussu were in chevy Luv, Chevette, F. Corrier etc. Am beatin the bush to find a diesel @ this motor's weight and 200tq. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Nubie

nappy nate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it is basically a Perkins diesel

Pretty old post but I thought I'd try. R U sure it's an english motor? I thought the Japinees were making them @ that point. I'm tryin to find a small 4 cyl to re-power a '70 Bronco. Heard 80s Nissan, Izussu were in chevy Luv, Chevette, F. Corrier etc. Am beatin the bush to find a diesel @ this motor's weight and 200tq. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Nubie

Its a perkins design built by mazda so the part numbers get confusing since mazda made there own numbers for their parts.
All those diesels you listed there from the 80's are lacking the power for your bronco if you want 200tq unless you find yourself a I6 from a nissan maxima not sure about the weight though.At that point maybe a 4BT makes more sense.
nate

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All those diesels you listed there from the 80's are lacking the power for your bronco

Nate,
Thanks for your post.
What tq would they have? I know hp is around 75 - 90. I must B crazy to look for 200 tq in them - prob ? 100 - 150?
Anyway, I need a less than 800Lb motor that can go on hills w/o fuel starvation or a lacka oil in the sump (hills ya know). (Diesels fit thAT bill?) That can run all day (generator, PTO wrk), under a good load, and has low rev tq (I don't wanna rev the stuff outta it to pull a log up the hill, I'll bog down in the swampyness around here).
The sixes R too much (scout, nissan, 4BT). A 4 lt gasser is about right (250ci, 500 lb) but would like to re-power w/diesel (hopefully not computer controlled & w/a line pump I could 'turn up' some).
Thanks,
Mr Ignorant

nappy nate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tq would they have? I know hp is around 75 - 90. I must B crazy to look for 200 tq in them - prob ? 100 - 150?(hopefully not computer controlled & w/a line pump I could 'turn up' some).
Thanks,
Mr Ignorant[/QUOTE]

I can't remember all the numbers but the motors with 75-90 HP are the turbo versions generally . My non-turbo isuzu 2,2 in a pup came from the factory with 58 HP 9? torque, the turbo version had 86 HP and 12? torque I believe . Got a mazda with the perkins here and its no more powerful
than my pup.
How much does the bronco weigh?
Whats your budget ?
I have read about swapping in 4JB1 or 4JB1-t isuzu engines imported from overseas,they were sold in japan uk and austrailia in early 90's . there a 2.8 litre 4 banger with a dry wieght of just over 500 pounds some even have a intercooler with the turbo. I've heard of one guy put one in a isuzu pup 4x another one in a jeep. I dont know much about them but I get the impression that the torque would satisfy exactly what your looking for I just did a quick search for 4JB1 and didn't come up with specs but you should check it out see what you think.
nate

Last edited:

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
motors with 75-90 HP are the turbo versions generally . My non-turbo isuzu 2,2 in a pup came from the factory with 58 HP 9? torque, the turbo version had 86 HP and 12? torque I believe.
I shy away from the turbos only due to cost (esp replacement costs), and lack of experience w/them. The latter could come along with time, I doubt the former ever will ;-).
A 500 + motor (less than 800, the 4BT is too much - 1,000? but some do it).
I'll be taking the Bronk to the dump-get it weighted later but assume 3200-3400lbs.

My budget is very limited (used, junk yards?)

This is not a rock crawler or mudder but in some ways mimics them (skid logs, sno plow, haul a loaded bed - all on hills and in a little swamp). It doesn't need the huge motors (Dodge p/u w/ a 6 cyl). Seems like a 250 gasser fits (sz, weight), (not sure on the power) which is a bout 4LT. I thought a 3 to 3.5LT diesel would match that. Can you tell if I'm close? I guess that's where I need to start - what displacement/hp/tq is really needed.
Nissan SD22 engine is 132 cubic inch displacement, producing 61 hp, a SD25 is a little bigger (1981 and '83). Unknown tq. Guy wants $500 a piece.
Don't know how to look up the 4JB1 but will start with Izussu. 2,8 sounds too small? They powered the Scout II in the '80 and I assume it's a good company (weights more than a Bronco). Prob is, I think it was a 6 cyl.
cf

Last edited:

nappy nate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you are going to go about this cheaply then you will need to upgrade the suspension to hold a heavier powerplant. 4jb1t 2.8l direct injection puts out 120 hp weighs 500 pounds but was never imported to the Us and so is expensive to get your hands on $2k+ . It s the power to weight to money ratio that has left you with zero choices available at this time in the diesel arena. The 4jb2t 3.9l 145hp is all over the place in the isuzu NPR chassis but is too heavy for your specs. Theres a nissan maxima 6 cyl diesel ,probably too heavy for your expectations of of 200ft. pounds and less than 500 pounds. Realisticly you need to lower your expectations or start squirreling money away for this IMHO. nate

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a 3.7 in the '83 Ford Step-van that also seems right. (They beef up the bronck frnt suspension for the 4BT transplant, alright.

N you're right on re: power : weight : money ratio!!! ;- }

This 4JB1T seems a little small @ 2.8 (that's what my 170ci is). My gasser gets 160 tq @ 2400rpm. The '69 -'71 I6 250ci (same ford family "I6") gets 240tq @1600. That's the kinda revs (lower) and tq I seek. (HP #s R bull sh*^ cuz it all changed when they went from 'net' to 'gross' w/the pollution controll stuff came in). Any idea where i can get a 250ci or this White/Hercules 3.7?