1984 6.9L

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it was located in the front-right side of the engine compartment, basically the same place that GM put them. Pretty cool setup, took alot of talent to put it there.;Sweet

lmw2156

Reaction score
turbo install

Mel, I removed the right exhaust manifold and cut a hole under the # 1 cylinder and welded a u-shaped pipe on to turn straight up then made a plate and welded it to the pipe to mount the GM turbo onto.This requires moving the alt and vac pump over to the center and left side of the engine. I removed the p/s pulley and welded an extra pulley on it to pull the vav pump and made brackets to mount vac pump on left side of a/c. I mounted the alt on the right side of the a/c pump.I ran the exhaust outside the frame through the fenderwell with no muffler. I removed the man fuel pump and put a plate on where the pump was with a pipe welded in for the return oil from the turbo.I installed a T in where the oil pressure sender is and ran the oil feed to turbo from there. I removed the CDR from the valley pan and intake and welded a freeze plug in to keep it from going back into the intake.I cut a hole in the left rocker cover and installed another CDR in it and y'ed the two CDR's together and ran it to the turbo.I used the air cleaner from a 6.5L GM and mounted it on the right inner fender.This required moving the battery. I mounted it under the truck on the right frame rail. I made the inlet to the intake (where the origional air cleaner was) out of an alum. a/c compressor and welded a flat piece on top and a pipe to connect the turbo hose on the front side.Installed an electric fuel pump on left frame rail along with the fuel filter also.It was a challenge to do but I have a welding instructor and a retired diesel instructor to give advise and do some of the welding. It wasn't real easy to do but I could remove this turbo in 30 to 45 min. easy.

Larry

lmw2156

Reaction score
Turbo Install

Mel, forgot to mention I ran the exhaust from left man. into the origional outlet of the right exh. man.
Larry

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does that mean that all the exhaust gas is one way or another going to end up in the p side manifold, Would this cause any issues? Would one bank have higher EGT's than the other.....seeing how the exhaust gas from both ends up in one? That is very cool;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! That makes installing a kit look like childs play. LOL Cool what you did though. Nice engineering challenge. Can't say I'm a big fan of all the gases going through the one manifold. Probably raises your EGT's some from the back presure, but if it makes boost, and your happy with it, I can't argue what you did. Definitely a very sound installation. :hail

lmw2156

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, All the gases do pass through the pass side manifold and that is basicly how the 6.5L GM turbo setup is. As far as exh temps go I have not seen it over 900 in a pretty hard pull with a load of cows on 22ft goose neck trailer. The pyro is mounted right below turbo outlet.Can make 10-12 boost but I don't hold it there long because I know the head gaskets aren't suppose to take that much pressure.
Larry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online

No members online now.