1984 6.9L

lmw2156

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea what a 1984 6.9L engine with almost 80K miles on it is worth. It has a turbo of of a 1996 6.5L GM engine on it also (10-12 lbs boost). I know the miles are right because I know all the previous owners. I am located in NE AL.

Thanks, Larry

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My guess would be about $500, maybe a little bit more. Are you looking at buying it? Have you seen/heard it run?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea what a 1984 6.9L engine with almost 80K miles on it is worth. It has a turbo of of a 1996 6.5L GM engine on it also (10-12 lbs boost). I know the miles are right because I know all the previous owners. I am located in NE AL.

Thanks, Larry
larry-
here's my rule of thumb. adjust to your taste.
If the motor is still in the truck and you can hear it fire up and run and be able to check for blowby, it's worth 1k tops. Also, look for leaks on the backside of the block/head area. I can buy a wrecking yard motor with a 90 day warranty for 1500 max.
If the motor is removed from the truck and is now sitting on the ground, it's worth 300-500 depending on how much stuff is still remaining on it. big deductions for missing IP and injectors. If you can't hear it run, it's a core motor(paperweight) in my book. Unless the seller has another replacement motor to trade out for the first one, the motor is a core. nobody is their right mind rips out one of these motors for ***** and giggles. There has to be a reason why they busted their knuckles.
As far as the turbo kit is concerned, it's a morphidite. the 1996 GM turbo is not a really good one, so post some pics of the setup and opinion can be rendered.
good luck!

lmw2156

Reaction score
Thanks for the info towcat, I didn't explain good enough. The engine is still in my personal truck and I am thinking about selling it. It cranks and runs great. I have installed the updated glowplug system and it works great.I installed the 6.5L turbo myself and turned the IP up a little bit.It has a 3 in. ex. going outside the right frame rail and no cat or muffler.Have changed the rear ratio from 3:07 to 3:73. Installed Tach, Boost gauge and pyro gauges. I have seen about 12 lbs. boost and have never seen pyro over about 950 deg. It has a small oil leak at rear main but not bad at all. I installed a GM crankcase decompression regulator in the left rocker cover and had to modify the origional Ford unit on the intake. There is a little oil in the intake hose at the turbo. I am not wanting to get rid of it because there is something wrong with it I am probably just expecting to much out of a 6.9. I have a 1971 429 Ford gas burner that I am considering building and installing don't know yet.
I will try to make some pics of the truck and under the hood and post them so you can see the way I installed the turbo. I can remove this turbo in just a little while.

Larry

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea. I think a lot of folks would be interested in seeing how you got that turbo on there. That would open up some possibilities for those looking to add one.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Thanks for the info towcat, I didn't explain good enough. The engine is still in my personal truck and I am thinking about selling it. It cranks and runs great. I have installed the updated glowplug system and it works great.I installed the 6.5L turbo myself and turned the IP up a little bit.It has a 3 in. ex. going outside the right frame rail and no cat or muffler.Have changed the rear ratio from 3:07 to 3:73. Installed Tach, Boost gauge and pyro gauges. I have seen about 12 lbs. boost and have never seen pyro over about 950 deg. It has a small oil leak at rear main but not bad at all. I installed a GM crankcase decompression regulator in the left rocker cover and had to modify the origional Ford unit on the intake. There is a little oil in the intake hose at the turbo. I am not wanting to get rid of it because there is something wrong with it I am probably just expecting to much out of a 6.9. I have a 1971 429 Ford gas burner that I am considering building and installing don't know yet.
I will try to make some pics of the truck and under the hood and post them so you can see the way I installed the turbo. I can remove this turbo in just a little while.

Larry

Larry- does this mean you have two CDR's? where are the pictures? would you sell the tranny too? and welcome to THE SITE we may try to talk you out of selling!!:backoff

lmw2156

Reaction score
Hi, Dwight I did use two CDR's. I blocked the hole to the intake on the origional Ford unit and they are y'ed together and run to the hose at the turbo. I will probably keep the tranny because it works so well. It may be a day or two on the pics because I have been in the hay field every day until dark and now I need to haul it in and get it in the barn. I do use this truck to haul hay 10 4x5 rolls on trailer each trip.

Larry

lmw2156

Reaction score
Dwight, I have 13 pics to send but I can't figure out how to send them it says file is to large.
Larry

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Dwight, I like the sig changes! LOL
Thanks Mel,
I have always been a fan Of THIS GREAT COUNTRY WE LIVE IN. Some times too much, I don't even like shopping at china general (this is what i call dollar general, i know they are an family run business from the east but...) and that wal place ha! I rather do without!:backoff

And to keep this thread on track, would it hurt to have too many filters?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose if you got really crazy with filters, you could loose presure, but I doubt that is going to happen with just 2 or even 3.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I like what i got now just need to mount them different, will be getting electric fuel pump so i thought one pre-pump then the other two? or should i put the pump between the the two i have now. and what is the part number for the inlet screen?

lmw2156

Reaction score
Yea. I think a lot of folks would be interested in seeing how you got that turbo on there. That would open up some possibilities for those looking to add one.

Mel, I have the pics on the picture gallery under F-250 truck inside and out.
Larry

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found the pics. HERE is the link for anyone looking. Can't say they help explain how you did it though. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online