1977 Scout II Traveler All Fiberglass Body with 6.2L Turbo Diesel $8500

newerascout

Reaction score
1977 Scout II Traveler 4x4 with all Fiberglass body and GM Detroit Diesel 6.2L Turbo Diesel engine. This truck runs and drives great. Awesome in the summer with the top off. Almost everything has been rebuilt in the last 4000 miles. I’ve driven it all over the last few years but have found a new project so it’s time for it to move to a new home.
The body is a Kentrol fiberglass tub I personally purchased new in October of 2006. The doors and windshield frame are also fiberglass and were purchased at the same time. The top and lift gate are the original factory pieces. When I assembled it I was careful to use as large of bolting plate as possible whenever attaching anything to the fiberglass body such as the seats, seatbelt anchors, etc. as shown in the pictures. The front end all tilts forward at the front bumper for easy engine access. It was made by modifying an early 80’s IH S-Series hood to fit the Scout body. It is definitely unique and one of a kind. If it’s not your kind of thing the body, doors and windshield frame were not modified to install it so it should be an easy change to go back to the original style front fenders and hood. I painted it in my driveway and to be honest it wasn’t even my best driveway job, but it did accomplish the task of getting it all one color. If you care about having a nice shiny paint job it will need painted, but the good thing is that since it’s all fiberglass, there’s no rust you’re going to have to fix. On the Kentrol website Traveler tubs currently go for $4988, doors $670 each, and windshield frames $645 for a total of $6973 in just fiberglass parts!
The drivetrain consists of a GM Detroit Diesel 6.2L diesel V8 engine and 700R4 automatic overdrive transmission along with the original Dana 20 model transfer case. The engine was rebuilt 3000 miles ago with new Crank, Bearings, Head Gaskets, Injectors, etc. It has an aftermarket Banks Turbo with 3 Inch exhaust. The transmission was also professionally rebuilt at the same time. Axles are Dana 44’s with 3.07 ratio. Combined with the overdrive in the transmission it will cruise at pretty much whatever speed you’re willing to do on the highway. For fuel economy it gets high teens in the city and mid twenties on the highway. There’s also plenty of room if you want to convert it to run on vegetable oil (wvo) or similar things.
The interior has cloth bucket seats from a Trailbazer with integral shoulder belts. There is new carpet from front to back. A vintage air Slimline with Defrost unit does the heating and cooling. (I never installed the AC Compressor because I found I liked driving with the top off in the summer and didn’t need it. I will include it though. The evaporator and condenser are already installed. It just needs the lines made and charged. There are aftermarket gauges installed including transmission temp, engine oil temp, turbo boost, and exhaust temp.
I would like to sell it to someone who will enjoy it but I would also be open to splitting up the body and drivetrain if someone was interested in one or the other. I have driven it twice to the Scout Nationals which is a 300 mile round trip for me. So it can make long distance trips, but obviously it’s a one of a kind vehicle and unexpected things can happen. Please come and see it if you’re interested, I’m located in Auburn Indiana. Additional pictures can be seen at http://picasaweb.google.com/cdfaylor/ScoutPictures# I can send additional pictures if you have requests for specific areas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online