194 LED Top of cab lights

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Hmm. Interesting question. You can also get led headlight bulbs now. So that should definitely decrease draw.

For those of you with the e40d, don't forget that you will still need load resistors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Interesting question. You can also get led headlight bulbs now. So that should definitely decrease draw.

For those of you with the e40d, don't forget that you will still need load resistors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

They all suck unless they are projector headlights. Another forum I'm a member of (hidplanet) has done numerous experiments with both hid and led replacement bulbs and the general consensus is unless in retrofitted projector housings designed for that type of bulb your road output is horrendous and the glare to oncoming traffic is unbearable. One member bought 5 different versions of a 9004 led and 0 of them beat a 9.99 cheapo replacement halogen. Hids won't either unless in a proper projector. The reflective surface of reflector headlights isn't designed for the way hid bulbs light up everywhere or the diodes of LEDs and the light just scatters but isn't "aimed" on the road. When you look at the car it's blinding, when you look at the road from in the car it's sad.

Now that being said, if you do it right you can get some amazing output. I have four quad bixenon mh1 headlights with both low and high beam that have the flipping shield in the eye ball looking fancy car housings (dual function projectors) and when I flick the high beams on and the shields open its like daylight outside on the old cavalier that won't die. Even have yellow projector fogs with a flat cutoff that are hid driven. Amazing output and 0 glare to oncoming traffic.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

When not messing with ford trucks, maintaining absurd lights on my old highschool car is my other hobby. But damn I can see for a while in the distance with those.

That being said, the LED swap I did on my 150 (replaced literally every bulb with LEDs even the dash bulbs glove box ash tray everything but headlights) definitely reduced my electrical draw on my voltmeter in the cab of it. Not the factory volt meter either I wired an actual cluster in that had one. Not a drastic change but enough that when idling at am intersection with the heater blasting I could notice that the dash didn't fade anymore nearly as much with the old 70 amp alternator. So there is some merit to the bulbs for sure if your running a stock old alternator.

Just make sure if you ever replace any of these bulbs whether it's headlights cab lights or turn signals that you test them in broad daylight and make sure they are still noticeable to other drivers. Some LEDs are known to "wash out" even if bright at night, in daytime conditions and be almost not noticeable. Never want to cause a wreck because your signals were crap eBay junk that couldn't be bright enough to be seen, and sometimes ones that seem bright at night we found were just unbelievable awful during the day.

Last edited:

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this just for the turn signals or is there some other issue of running led's without a load resistor interacting with the transmission?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would just be items that are running on the same fused area as the electronics for the transmission equipment.

pafixitman

Reaction score
I read that if the CHMSL is a regular bulb you can get away with LED in the rear and not need resistors on the trucks. Not sure if it is true or not...

I have been hesitant to change any of mine on the Jeep or Hyundai because you always read about the one guy that had hyperflash or weird electronic gremlins.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can find it for you tonight, it's in the 150 which doesn't see winter.. Or rain.. Haha it's out at the garage but I'll be there tomorrow morning to work on some new front springs on the diesel. Off for 4 days in a row for first time in 3 months. Project time.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been hesitant to change any of mine on the Jeep or Hyundai because you always read about the one guy that had hyperflash or weird electronic gremlins.
My 2000 Lincoln towncar did not like led turn signal bulbs. But that thing has a damn light control module