1000 Miles on WMO 50/50 7.3L PWRSTROKE

tierhog

Reaction score
Well I hit 1K on my 2003 F250 7.3L. I am running 50/50. I use multiple weights and brands from a reputable buddy. I dont preheat...just blend, filter (5M) and pour.

I pulled the F.Filter and it appears fine. (amsoil/wix 5 micron). Cleaned the injectors with MOBIL ATF. Pulled an injector...No build-up. GP looks good.;Sweet

I have mixed the oil and #2 and put it in a bottle. I have even thrown it in the freezer;p

If anyone has any questions....I will try to answer. Not a mechanic.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
nice to hear you pulled an injector and it was clean. that is a majer concern i have as far as carbon build up.

so are you just running just WMO or do you have ATF mixed in?

tierhog

Reaction score
I run exclusively WMO 50/50 right now. Every few tanks I buy a bottle of Mobil ATF and pour it in. Every 5K I plan on pulling the fuel filter and checking it out for buildup. I give my FF a 10K operating life anyway. When I replace or put back back the FF I top off the bowl with ATF and the rest goes in the tank.

Some Carbon IMHO is a byproduct of combustion. I will rely on my ATF, inspection schedule, and filtering to maintain consistency.

If I had a suggestion...I would tell you not to get greedy. There is a post where a guy was running 80% plus and mineral oil. He may know something I dont...but my gut tells me that a fuel replacement will require mechanical mods....running a bit of ATF or WMO with 50% diesel is safe...even in lower temps. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
It's too bad we didn't have a test mule like the magazine companies...LOL....Full of WMO, on the dyno, varied speeds and loads to see what happens. I have a spare IDI in the garage and a 97 PSD coming in the next month or so...hmmm....LOL

tierhog

Reaction score
That does make it a tad easier then..lol. Well its one of those taboo subjects (WMO). I thought of filtering beyond 5m, but heck even the pumps at a commercial station are at 30. I understand there are metallics in the oil but #$%** do you know how much crap is in a commercial tank?

I changed my FF to a wix 5m and i doesnt catch that much. That ATF for injectors is a beautiful thing.....

kwcrusader

Reaction score
I filter my WMO to 2 micron with a CAT high effiency fuel filter....Cheap to buy.

Where do you get this filter you speak of?

I have been running wmo and wvo for a long time. I see no major problems either.
I do notice wmo smokes way more than wvo but wvo in nasty stuff to leave in your fuel system.

tierhog

Reaction score
01 Cummins.....hold on to that one. These non-cat/egr run on anything diesels are a dieing breed indeed. I love my PWRSTRK but really love that ol cat sound....specially with an aftermarket turbo.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I get them from my local CAT dealership or my work. CAT is super **** about filtration so they only use top notch filters in their fuel system. An 01 ISB eh.....VP44 injection pump on that? If so I would pay real close attention to the lift pump outlet pressure. I've seen MANY of those Carter lift pumps running but not actually pumping and that is death on a VP44. Running WMO puts more strain on them.

kwcrusader

Reaction score
An 01 ISB eh.....VP44 injection pump on that? If so I would pay real close attention to the lift pump outlet pressure. I've seen MANY of those Carter lift pumps running but not actually pumping and that is death on a VP44. Running WMO puts more strain on them.

Ah that's what killed my last one. My lift pump went, then 3 months later so did my IP. I have a rebuilt from Industrial injection in there now with the Fass fuel system lift pump and filter combo (sitting at my shop waiting to go in)

I know the vp-44 is junk but I did not know anything about it till I already bought the truck. I'll see how long this one will last me but I would like to get the 2003 Dodge 3500, Better injection system and I hear that's the last year you can fully tweak the computer.
My buddy had some computer work done on a completely stock truck and he pushes 450hp at the wheels on economy and 650hp on kill mode.
Only problem is the trans can't handle the 650 so he runs around on 450hp.
34mpg highway and 26 in town.
That's good stuff.

My only concern is I would be spending more on tires than I would be spending on fuel with hp like that.....

kwcrusader

Reaction score
For watching my fuel pressure what's better, a gauge or the led light set up I see everyone selling?
Or who's got the best system.

tierhog

Reaction score
Raising the dead with this post but no aliens have abducted me or took my WMO 50/50 mix. Still runs fine....still havent changed the f filter on the engine...will get to it soon. I have to have at least 5k on this stuff by now....probably closer to 8k. Paying about $1.20 a gallon I figure. Truck has 113k on it. I'm at a loss with some of presumptions. Anybody with some impressive timelines? 1yr? 5? Any farmers out there?
Steve

kwcrusader

Reaction score
I ended up with a 2 tank system. I run all diesel in the stock tank but when I'm on the highway I switch to my 100 gal tank with a 80% wmo and 20%diesel mix.
I use a heater to help make it thinner and go through my filters faster.
I have many miles on this system. I ran little over 2k miles this week. I'm still at 1/4 tank on my stock tank lol.....

tierhog

Reaction score
I have been starting and shutting down without so much as a hiccup. I put the WMO in a transfer tank straight from the shop, mix #2 in it (5%), then it filters through a 10m before it gets to the meter and gun. The shop I get it from also has a commerical fuel station (not national) and only for accounts... Was horrified to see that diesel is only filtered to 30m and gas 10m. I have peeked in those tanks during maintenance....UGLY.
Steve

Desert Dually

cane corso
Reaction score
I ended up with a 2 tank system. I run all diesel in the stock tank but when I'm on the highway I switch to my 100 gal tank with a 80% wmo and 20%diesel mix.
I use a heater to help make it thinner and go through my filters faster.
I have many miles on this system. I ran little over 2k miles this week. I'm still at 1/4 tank on my stock tank lol.....

I am eventually going to do a 2 tank system for WMO on my Dodge, would like to see how you set yours up. What part of Florida are you in? I am in Pompano Beach