1.6 VW Diesel swap

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I've been playing with the idea of swapping the 4-53 I have into my old chevy. But on the flip side both trucks are running good and if it ain't broke don't fix it, you know? So talking today my buddy mentioned he's got a 95 ranger that quit running. It's the 2.3 with a 5spd, light bulb goes on and a quick look at Craigslist I find a guy selling a 1.6 VW Diesel for $150. So I'm going to go this weekend and pick it up. What I'm not sure on is how do you make up an adapter plate for the trans? I know it'll be a turtle lol but I'm not worried about it, I'll be driving it on surface streets anyway. I plan on documenting this entire process, hopefully I can get it done before Christmas.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Search around. There's a website that makes the adapters. Pretty common swap.
A couple other vw guys here, maybe one knows the name.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found one website but I darn near died when I saw the $1200 price tag.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found one website but I darn near died when I saw the $1200 price tag.
Sadly, adapter plates aren't cheap...I think the cheapest one I've ever seen was still north of $800. You might find one a bit cheaper than $1200, but probably not much cheaper, unfortunately...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could you swap the trans or will it not have enough grunt? seems like a ujoint adapter would be a helluva lot cheaper?

you can make some good power here, on par or better than the 2.3. it doesnt have to be a slouch :sly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7