0w30 oil

OutofOrder

Reaction score
I was at walmart the other day looking at oil and I saw where Mobil1 came out with a 0w30 synthetic oil. Has anyone used this stuff yet? My thinking is if 5w30 is good enough for my car in the winter, then 0w30 would be even better. My car is past warranty, so I don't have to worry about voiding anything. Your thoughts.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen it also but have not used it.

I took my wifes Mustang in for an oil change the other day, it had 5w20 in it but only had about 1100 miles since the previous oil change, didnt matter I wanted the light oil out of it now that warmer weather is here so in to Ford she went. Pick it up half hour later and say thanks and get in the car and leave. I'm almost home and I look at the window decal and the goofy idiots put 5w20 back in it again... Im thinking ***!? So I pull it in the garage and go through the paperwork from the change to see if maybe the decal was just a typo. Nope, right on the work order it says that 6 qts of 5w20 went in the pan. Now I'm a little hot but before I call the dealer and rip some tail I wanted to check the owners manual, instead I popped the hood and right on the oil fill cap it says 5w20 is the recommended oil in the engine.

Seems light to me, not sure what the difference is on this engine. It is the modular 4.6L so that may be it I guess?

John Deere

Reaction score
5w20 is what is recommneded in my grand-dads 06 f150 with the 5.4 also. I think the light viscosity is for efficiency, although we use 5w30 in it anyhow.

OutofOrder

Reaction score
The lady's new '09 jeep liberty calls for 5w20. I guess thin is in. Since we have a lifetime warranty on the power train, 5w20 is all that it will get... Is there really any difference between running 5w20 in the winter vs. summer? Regardless of the outside air temperature, the engine will operate under the same approximate heat.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
You manual will show a range, I use nothing less than 10W30 in all my vehilces...as I've posted before, all my drivers I've sold running with 200,000 plus on them, with limited service issues. I change the oil and my last two I've run synthetic after the first 500 miles. Castrol used to make a 5w50 synthetic that I really liked, but it doesn't seem to be readily available these days.

OutofOrder

Reaction score
I've considered running the Mobil1 extended performance for 15,000 miles. Only have to worry about about changing the oil once a year.

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
M1 is a very good oil but remember they do not warranty a 15k mile oil change nor do they recommend it. Amsoil will guarantee it and recommend it. The Amsoil,s 0W-30 Signature oil is guaranteed for 35k miles but you will need to change filters to get that. Even the Amsoil EAO filter is only guaranteed for 25k miles.

The Fords and many other brands have gone 0W-20 to increase fuel mileage. Its part of the system used to acheive federally mandated fuel standards. Lighter oils will give increased fuel mileage and with todays technology in oils its safe to do as well.

If you want guaranteed extended oil change intervals up to 25k miles on those Mustangs and other cars & trucks talk to me and find out the details and start saving some money and time changing your oils as well as have less waste oil to deal with if your doing it yourself.

OutofOrder

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Do you think I could go 5w20 in a 1997 Sable or is that too old of an engine? I'm always looking to squeeze out a few extra mpg.

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Do you think I could go 5w20 in a 1997 Sable or is that too old of an engine? I'm always looking to squeeze out a few extra mpg.

Yes 5W-20 would be a viable option. I bet if you called Merc/Ford they would recommend a 0W-20 for it even though your manual calls for a 5W-30 or a 10W-30.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online