03 rough idle after filter change

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
buddy has an 03 with the 6.0.60,000 miles bought it used he serviced it saterday,engine oil and filter,fuel filters.
after the fuel filter change he has a rough idle and hard start after it sits.
now from my experience with my old 7.3 IDI doing the same thing it sounds like he's got himself an airleak.after its run a few minutes and gets warm the thing runs great.there is no fuel leaks that i can see.
he crossed the ford filter numbers from the powerstrokeshop.com to fleetgaurd and used fleetgaurd filters because we sell them and get them at cost ;Sweet :D
what do you guys think

Bear Hunter

RLTW!
Reaction score
Yeah...that doesn't sound right. Here is what I would do.

1. Drain the HFCM
2. Remove the Frame mounted filter and check the O-Ring. He did use the new one that came with the new filter right? Make sure it's seated properly.
3. Make sure the filter is inserted correctly...rotate it and push it in.
4. Put the cap back on the filter housing.
5. Ensure that it is screwed in all the way. The lip on the cap should contact the HFCM...then snug it up.

*****Before you start the truck cycle the ignition 3-4 times to pump the fuel. On each key cycle wait for the pump to stop before you do it again******

If everything is done correctly and the ignition is cycled as stated above it will fire right up ....no smoke...no romps.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
he checked all filters and o-rings,found okay.
took it to ford dealer on tuesday and they it needs 8 new injectors :confused: the thing runs fine after its warm,also said maybe the oil pump pressure is low for the injectors?are they just jerking him around cause they have no idea.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
rancherman84 said:
he checked all filters and o-rings,found okay.
took it to ford dealer on tuesday and they it needs 8 new injectors :confused: the thing runs fine after its warm,also said maybe the oil pump pressure is low for the injectors?are they just jerking him around cause they have no idea.

:***: :***: :***: :***: :bs :bs :bs :bs

Replacement of all EIGHT injectors all of a sudden? I dont think so. Ask to see the data from the analyzers. That should tell you if the firing pressures are off, dead injectors, low oil pressure that affects the HEUI system, etc.

Air entrainment (not necessarily a leak by all means) is what the problem sounds like. Sometimes entrained air will stick around in a fuel system for awhile and it takes a bit to run it through unless you do the bleed procedure as mentioned above.

Another possibility is a bad bleedback valve or something like that somewhere.... but for it to suddenly show up now is wierd. Not up to speed on the new 6.0/VT365 fuel systems...

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
well he got it back from the stealership on friday,seems to run better than ever ;Sweet ,thanks for the help guys,i'll be headed back to the basement now :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online