'03 F350 tranny

Deadlifter

Reaction score
Hey all... new to the forums here.

Im looking at getting a chip for my truck. Like I said, its an '03. Its got 85k on it, and I've had it about 2 years.
You must be registered for see images attach

My question is what kind of wear and tear can I expect on the tranny if I use a setting to get the HP over 400 and the substantial increase in torque? I have 4" exhaust on it right now, but other than that its stock.

Im looking at a dp F5 tuner with maybe a 40hp towing, 80hp towing, and 120 hp race. I just dont want to have to spend 3k in a few months replacing the tranny.

tollen17

Reaction score
spend the money and Get you a Tony Wildman chip..........I ask the same thing got told the ditto. Hope you have gauge's so you won't burn down.

Last edited:

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
On an 03' i wouldn't just be worried about the transmission at over 400 hp. Those PMR's (powdered metal rods) are not going to like it at all. Good chance you'll end up replacing a motor as well as a transmission.

I still don't understand why Ferd got rid of the forged rods and replaced them with the junky PMR's. Price i assume.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im pretty confident that with just a tuner or chip you wont see in excess of 400 hp. Youre going to do quite a few other supporting mods to get there first.

Now if you want to add a tuner or chip and blow some black smoke and tell your friends that you really do have 400 horse then the tranny would like to have a shift kit of some kind put in it to minimize sloppy shifts and keep things tight. That will reduce your heat load in the tranny which will give you longer life. A larger tranny cooler is in order as well but first and foremost, get guages on the whole shooting match... EGT pyro, boost and trans temp are a must.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speed costs money. If you're gonna play you gotta be ready to pay.

When you crank up the power and decide to get stupid smoking out a ricer at a red light on a holeshot you're always taking a risk with parts that are not designed for the power. You may want to set aside about $8k just in case.......
  • 3k just in case for the tranny
  • 5k for a new engine if / when the powdered metal rods let loose and you ventilate the block
Before you chip it get some real gauges in the truck. Heat is the biggest killer of automatic transmissions..... Of course it's alway possible to flat out snap something too.

Deadlifter

Reaction score
So basically what people are saying is, is dont chip out the truck?:dunno

And I also thought that the 03 7.3l was around 300 hp and 500 ft lbs torque?

With a chip that has a 120 hp setting, wouldnt that be over 400 hp?

Hate sounding like a noob, but Im new to the performance aspect of things. I appreciate all the answers as well.

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont confuse engine (flywheel) HP with RWHP (rear wheel HP). In other words if a 120 horse chip is installed and dyno'd you will be very lucky to be at 325 maybe 350 at the wheels. The programmers and down loaders are all rated a little on the liberal side as well. Rarely will you get an additional 100 horse a the wheels from a programmer that is rated at 100 hp. If you go with a custom burned chip or PCM then the numbers you get will be a little more "real world".

As far as to chip or not? I think most everybody here will encourage you to chip it but to do so knowing that you need some supporting mods first (guages and tranny enhancements, intake and exhaust upgrades) and that if you do chip dont be shocked if something breaks. Weve all done it.

charney

Reaction score
I just got my DP- tuner I have the 40 hp tow and the 80 hp e also got the drive through
the 1100 high idel and decel tune its awsome had a tuner before but it failed I was runnig stock for about a month it realy sucks truck was a slug
03 7.3L xlt larriet superduty 4x4 s/b 4" brp big air pyro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online