'03 6.0L black - blue - white smoke n then quit

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck just died on me. I knew I had a major problem, but I thought it may be an injector. I noticed it blowing alot of black when I laid on the throttle (which it never does) and then over 100 miles or so it changed to alot of blue...LOTS. Then over 50 miles or so it changed to blue/white and was running really rough. Right to the floor at the end all I could get was 50 mph and then it finally shook really hard and died...WHAT TO DO?? What could it be??

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black smoke is over fueling. Blue smoke is oil and white smoke is water. The rough running tells me that is is water in the fuel or combustion chambers (hard to do). How is the coolant level in the degas bottle? If it is low and you are using water, you have a blown head gasket. Common on these engines, whether or not you run a tuner.

Dave

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the coolant resivoir was empty. I fired it up this morning after getting towed home and it was blowing a light grey (lots) smoke and it runs really rough, either like it is running on 7 or 5 cyl's. I am certain that I have a blown head gasket and an injector for sure. Any idea what just these 2 would cost to fix? Someone mentioned that the cab has to come off to do head gaskets. This truck has never had a tuner/chip in it and I have never done alot of heavy towing with it.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The early 6.0 engines had head gasket problems STOCK. I have heard $2000.00 to remove the cab to get to the heads. R&R Head Gaskets and Studs are extra. It is either remove the cab or the engine. Cab is larger but has less bolts. It might be the way to go IF you have the room to do it.

Dave