ZF 5-Speed conversion + Transfer Case shifter location question

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Should have my clutch to begin my ZF conversion in the next week or so. Was under the truck mapping out the process and work ahead of me, realized my 87' has the transfer case shifter coming into the cab at the rear of the trans cover pan on the tunnel. However, My 88' donor truck had the transfer case shifter coming through the floor of the cab to the left side of the cover.
I'd prefer to not cut my floor up and modify the ZF cover plate I have instead. Will the brackets and linkage from my C6/BW1356 swap over to the ZF? Also will the two sticks clear each other?
Haven't seen any setup this way, everyone seems to have the side mount shifter.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were a couple of different linkage setups and some will not swap. If you have the donor, just get the floor plate and boots from the donor and put it all in? I know it's a pain to pull the seat and the carpet/mat up. But it makes it much easier to put the pedal assembly in under the dash with the seat out.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Here's hope in a Bullnose...
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I believe your linkage bolts to the extension housing on the back of your c-6 like the manual ones do. You should be able to use the same setup as you already have. If all else fails, just shorten or lengthen your linkage between the pivot and the transfer case. That seems to be the simplest to me.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I actually am fighting this at this VERY moment. First, having an 86, the 5 spd shifter is about 3" further to the rear than the 4 speed. The T-Case handle may be able to be moved to the rear bolt location on the side of the tranny. If you look, there are 2 holes there where a plate from the later model shifter is used. I removed the plate and installed my shifter in one of the holes. Now, I can not bolt down the boot and it will not go into 2wd if I have the boot down where it goes. I am going to cut the shifter off at the flat plate mount and lengthen the straight piece, and the flat piece to shorten the throw. Change the angle and I should be golden, but the pic you posted earlier is off for the reasons I mentioned.

Now, I will tell you that I had a NP435 behind it before. Today was the first time I drove it with the ZF 5 which is from a 460. It was like an ENTIRELY different vehicle. When it goes through the gears, it does not drop back to the idle setup. It stays where it should and runs really well. I like it a lot.

SWS

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I will do is fab a new linkage to go from the existing linkage down on the frame to the transfer case.
So park will be 2 rev will be 4 hi and so on.

It will be a couple months before I get to it though.
I'll post pics and a how to then. Its probably going to take more beer than time to do.

Last edited: