ZF-5/NP205 T-CASE INSTALL PIC'S.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cut that bar between those shifter shafts and make yourself a double shifter setup. always easier to back a trailer up in 2 wheel low

I just dont lock the front hubs and get 2wd low for backing the trailer up the hill.

But a twin stick is nice.

PCausey

Reaction score
I'm hoping as old as this thread is that I'll get a response. I have a ZF 5spd I just installed in my 4x4 van, it is the 4x4 model trans. I also have my old Spicer 205 xfer case which used to be behind my C6. I just realized today that the old C6 had a notch cut in it for the linkage to clear on the 205. Is there any reason I cannot notch the back of my ZF adapter to accommodate the 205 as a married unit?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Notch away...slowly...little by little...less is MORE!

You are not the first person to do this....I plan on it too!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notched my US gear slightly to clear the NP205 I put in my crewcab. Haven't driven it yet, but not worried as the C6 the 205 came from had a notch.

PCausey

Reaction score
It's now installed. I spent about an hour using a Dremel tool and carefully notched the case. It did require removal of one of the bosses that the shifter bracket used to bolt to but that's OK because I can use a single boss with a the single bolt setup that was on my C6

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's now installed. I spent about an hour using a Dremel tool and carefully notched the case. It did require removal of one of the bosses that the shifter bracket used to bolt to but that's OK because I can use a single boss with a the single bolt setup that was on my C6

Going to use twin sticks or cable shifters and do the shift rail mod? I would suggest doing it NOW...as opposed to later...and the benefits well worth it IMHO

Just sayin...

Al

PCausey

Reaction score
I have thought about setting up my 205 for twin sticks, not familiar with the cable shift idea so if you have a link to it please post it here and I'll check it out. Right now though cash is tight and I need it on the road so things are just going back together for now. If the world goes on in the spring of 2013 then maybe I'll get into it again and spend a bit more money and time because my 205 needs a complete overhaul. The yokes need to be replaced so the seals will seal again, I'm sure it could use new bearings too, and I want the two stick (or maybe cable?) as well but right now I have Christmas for kids to spend money on and working on stuff in the cold of winter sucks anyway. Come spring we'll see what I can afford to spend again when it's warm outside.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bumping this, anyomne know the U joint size of the zf5 output, np205 input and the np205 rear output??

I took the beast for a spin tonight after working on it for 3+ weeks, it's not completely done but it rolls in 2wd anyways. Didn't drive too bad, the brakes felt funny like there was no vacuum - there must be some as my heater doors are moving....I'll have to check that out. The used LUK clutch adjustment needs work, too much freeplay and it takes right off the floor. I have to fabricate the 4wd shifter lever and linkage along with some painting and trimming of the trans tunnel plate around the shifter (rubbing):rolleyes:

Definitely pulls harder, the used 2wd trans seems to work good, probably feel even better with less freeplay and more release bearing pressure. I only took it up to 80km/hr but there was no driveline vibrations....There are some other odds and ends to do but I should have it ready to go to work on Monday with any luck.;Sweet

You must be registered for see images attach

Black dawg

Reaction score
front output looks to be ford 1330 cv, the rest look like 1350...why do you ask?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
because i would like to go all 1350 for my rig. I gto 1310 on th Tcase and 1330 on the zf5 output right now.